PDA

View Full Version : Why do you practice martial arts?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

theblakeman
06-20-2004, 09:33 PM
What reason do you practice martial arts for, be it Aikido or otherwise?
The reason I started was because well *embarrassed smile* I like a lot of Kung Fu movies as well as anime, which involves martial arts. These mediums really appealed to me and it made me quite interested in it. I wanted to learn martial arts so I could be able to protect myself and others :D
Now, what are your reasons?

Geoff Flather
06-22-2004, 05:50 PM
Hello Blake,

I probably began my martial arts training for the same reason we all do, insecurity, now I have been practicing most of my life, I believe it is to be mentally free, assist, and support others toward this concept, honestly.

Thanks for asking.

Keith_k
06-23-2004, 12:07 AM
I started practicing martial arts (not aikido) because I knew I guy who worked as a bail bond enforcement agent; commonly called a bounty hunter. I got this absurd idea that this was the kind of work I wanted to pursue. Now I do it just for the sheer enjoyment of it.

Keith

SeiserL
06-23-2004, 08:07 AM
Like most, I think I started out of fear and insecurity. The usual ego stuff.

When asked why I still study I usually respond that its because I don't golf. I could never get past the windmill and clown's face.

Actually, I just train because I like the training and I like the people. When you do it too long its just an identity thing. Its who you are, not just what you do.

Zoli Elo
06-23-2004, 01:16 PM
Why do I now practice martial arts? - Habit that has been instilled due to a long trend of repetition.

Why did I start to practice martial arts? - Meet girls. :)

Anders Bjonback
06-24-2004, 04:53 PM
Because I love training.

edit: I started out Brazilian Jui Jitsu because I wanted to be in shape and be able to protect myself. Two or three years later, I started aikido because I wanted to learn a way to protect myself without necessarily harming others. Now I continue with aikido because I really love to train and to try to improve my ability. It's really fun (probably the only physical thing I've found fun since I was a kid).

RPSNBrewer
06-25-2004, 09:17 AM
I train because that is when I feel the most unified with myself and the closest to God. It is a very inner spiritual experience. This is the time that my senses are clear and free from the distraction of everyday life.

I train in order to be at peace. To know that I can defend the life of my wife and myself if called upon to do so.

I train because one day I may be out with a chaplain on the front lines underfire and exhausted of all resources and I will have little choice but to face our attackers in hand to hand melee.

aikitim23
07-19-2004, 10:07 PM
I train because...wait for it...ITS FUN!!!!!!

bleepbeep
07-19-2004, 11:25 PM
it started out as something my boyfriend and i could do together, and to lose weight. mwahahahah well the boyfriend is gone, the weight is still here but now the reasons have changed...
over the years it has become very important to me. to focus, to calm down, to keep in shape, to be able to escape or protect myself... and more...like it has become a part of the person i am..
think i will grow old in it. training, and enjoying every minute of it. just wish i'd discovered aikido sooner. :)

suren
07-20-2004, 01:49 PM
I like a lot of Kung Fu movies as well as anime, which involves martial arts.

That was the reason I started my training in karate 12 years ago when I was a teenager. I started aikido recently God knows why. My physician told me to start some kind of sport since my "good cholesterol" level is low. Well that convinced my wife :) I wanted to do some martial art and was searching the Internet for a dojo. The only site dedicated to one martial art which had a dojo search was aikiweb and that convinced me.
I think it was also my destiny. All great things happen unwillingly.
Now I stay here... God knows why...

Lyle Laizure
07-20-2004, 02:19 PM
I started out of curiosity and a desire to learn self-defense. Now if I don't go I don't feel well, my body gets tight and achey. I enjoy practice very much.

amberlee
07-20-2004, 02:32 PM
I have know idea why I started but I love it! If class is canceled I go crazy.

Orion1
07-20-2004, 11:13 PM
I started to playing soccer when I was about five or six years old. I played up until I graduated high last month at which time I was to old to play in any of the local leagues so I began to look for something else to do. After about a few weeks of considering my options I was talking to a friend of mine online to get their opinion and they recommended that I try the martial arts. I eventually found a dojo in my home town and have been training there ever since.

siwilson
07-24-2004, 10:10 PM
I started practicing martial arts at (I think) 12 with Judo. I graded in the year and a half, or two I practiced, and reached the dizzy hights of yellow belt (they did not rush you through gradings as a kid as some do now. Then I did a competition and hated it!!! I did quite well, but hated it.

I then ended up rife shooting (comptetively!!!! :crazy: ) for the next few years!!!

I dabbled in the martial arts for the next few years (numerous), and then I found the Shudokan, or rather it found me!!! I was there on the dojo's first night!!! I learnt aikido Shudokan, which came from the Yoshinkan, learnt from the UK's Shudokan Master (Sensei Ted WJ Stratton) and never looked back! Hit the bulls-eye!

I will always practice Kancho Shioda Senseis way of Aiki, as Master Stratton learnt, in the spirit he demonstrated.

Osu!

p00kiethebear
07-25-2004, 10:58 PM
It makes the beer taste better.

David_francis
08-03-2004, 08:39 AM
I started training for a lot of reasons, my football team disbanded and i was left with a lot of free time on my hands as i didnt have any matches or training to do. I felt that if i didnt find another sport id get unfit and slobby.
I tried kendo for a few months and loved it, however the trek to get there was too long and it became more and more increasingly difficult to get to the dojo. I realised that i had learnt no martial arts at all in my life and began to think what would i do in a violent situation. I looked for a martial art that id like to do and i picked loads but wanted one that was easy to get to and one that would be rewarding.
So needless to say i chose aikido and i've never looked back

Jeff Stallard
08-03-2004, 02:05 PM
I'm on a quest for truth. It sounds corny, I know, but that's why I started. You know how you're practicing a technique for a while, then one day you perform it flawlessly, and it feels like you've discovered not just a secret of aikido, but a universal truth? I want to fill my life with these moments. Aikido is thick with truth.

My signature pretty much sums it up.

Anders Bjonback
08-10-2004, 12:41 AM
Now I don't know anymore. I'm pretty sure I'm going to quit aikido in two years when I'm finished with college and go back to a monastery to check out what it's like to be a monastic to see if that's the life for me. Even though I'll be quitting, though, I'll still practice because I really enjoy it, it's a good form of exercise, and I like the social aspect. But I won't train so that I'll be better in the future, or to learn self-defense.

jacob wood
08-10-2004, 12:59 AM
i started aikido cuz i fall a lot while snowboarding ;) . and because it sounded like a lot of fun and not too many other people i know do, however self defense was never a pushing factor for me when i decided to start a martial art

xuzen
08-10-2004, 03:32 AM
Dear freinds,

I practice aikido because it means freedom. Through constant practice, I am able to move my body in ways that otherwise my unpracticed self would not have done.

I also practice aikido because it is aesthetically beautiful. It is pleasing to the visual sense.

I practice aikido because it allows me to know what is real and what isn't. Constant practice will discriminate between what is a real technique and what is illusionary thought up technique which is useless in real life application.

Regards,
Boon

Roger Wallace
08-11-2004, 03:41 PM
I started in Aikido because I wanted to do something different. Also because my nearest dojo is 40 miles away and so nobody would hear about how hopeless I am at it.
2 years on I'm still fairly hopeless and it's frustratingly difficult ( when will I perform the perfect ukemi?) but I'm hooked.
I also like the jo and ken work which add something different.

maikerus
08-11-2004, 06:28 PM
I'm sure we all get this question as soon as anyone finds out we study martial arts.

My usual reply (and it is quite possibly true - hopefully we'll never find out ) is that I study Aikido because if I didn't I might become an axe murderer and Aikido is a more sociably acceptable alternative.

Seriously, it keeps me sane. It gives me a place and time to do something very rewarding without having all the worries and trials and difficulties of "everyday life" intrude. That hour or hour and a half on the mat is peaceful, focused and fun. What more could you want?

Lan Powers
08-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Sixth grade summer recreation was a introduction to karate taught by a fine, caring young man whose name I can no longer remember. His enthusiasm hooked me into the martial arts. His placing of this art at the top of the heap of practices he wished to train in, sealed the deal for me.
Years later, living in the backwater of west texas I finally found a dojo to train at and have never looked back.
I need the release of being physical, and with training, it has given much satisfaction.
Lan

CNYMike
08-23-2004, 11:41 PM
I started because my then college roommate, now best friend, learned there was a karate class on campus and pestered me for a week to sign up. I finally did it to get him to shut up on the subject. Did it? No. Three days before our first class, he told me about all the ways you can die doing martial arts, things like the delayed death touch.

He started in the class with me and lasted three weeks; I am still plugging away after 19 years in five martial arts.

I started Aikido in the '80s, about a year and a half after I started karate, because :o :o :o I read about the things O Sensei could do, and wanted to do them, too! :o :o :o I did both Aikido and karate for a couple of years, then, because of personality conflicts, dropped Aikido. (I'll never forget the night in Sensei Jim Wallace's class when he showed us tenkan for the first time, having us pivto 90 degrees. I'd done the same footwork in karate, so I had no problem with it. Sensei Jim looked down at my feet and said, "I can't believe you're not having any problems with it." I don't think he heard me when I told him why.)

In any case, the Aikido bug stayed with me, driving several book purchases over the years, and a couple of years I pracitced some Filipino numbering systems with my bokken. I finally jumped back in this past March.

aikido_luver
08-24-2004, 07:22 PM
i started for heaps of reasons.
i always wanted to do a martial art....When i was way younger i wanted to be like jackie chan etc, and my dad did karate when he was younger. And i definately wanted to be able to protect myself. at my school we had to do this Karate thing for my Japanese class, and i didnt like it. I think it was the whole stance thing (and the fact that i couldnt kick very high) ....you could get pushed over way to easy. But my dad suggested Aikido, and i went along to the one where im at now...I luv it sssooo much. I absoulutely hate to missa class. I kind of go in a big grump and let out on random people.... :blush: not a good thing!!!

Aikidoiain
09-21-2004, 03:48 PM
Hi Blake,

I did it initially for Self-Defense like most people. As I got older I tried various other styles (I started in Shotokan Karate) and now have arrived at Aikido.

I'm no longer training for those initial reasons. Now I'm looking for something more Spiritual I guess. Also, I want to get fit again (I'm in my 40s) and just love Aikido! :D

Like many, it was through Steven Seagal's movies plus the influence from a close friend who turned me onto Aikido. Then I began getting into the History and Philosophy of this Art, and I've never looked back! Aikido's great!!

Iain. :ki: :)

Shane Mokry
10-08-2004, 02:57 PM
When I was a kid I wanted to be a ninja. My best training sessions consisted of watching "Revenge of the Ninja" and trying to kick the crap out of my brother in the living room.

At around age 10, I began training in Shotokan karate and did it for a few years until girls and skateboards took over. Later in my high school years, I practiced some basics of Kenpo with my stepfather. On my way to school (college courses) one day I passed a building that had Tomiki Aikido painted on the front wall. I decided to check it out. I started classes the next week.

Been training ever since...

I train...because...I train

I have to...(twitch, twitch)

Shane

Aikidoiain
10-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Shane,

I didn't realize you trained in Tomiki Aikido. :) That was my main style for 10 years. Are you familiar with Dr. Ah Loi lee's work? I have a couple of videos of her. She was a 7th Dan in the "Koryu no Kata" one (released in 1996). Have you heard of her? She must be a higher rank now I would imagine. She's amazing!

It was through a friend that I got turned on to this style. Now, of course I'm beginning my Aikikai-Aikido, but I would still use Tomiki if attacked. It seems so natural to me now.

Iain. :ki: :)

taras
10-10-2004, 02:29 AM
the practice makes me happy, thast's why I do it

Shane Mokry
10-10-2004, 09:54 AM
Iain,

Actually, my teacher's lineage includes Tomiki style Aikido. From Tomiki...Karl Geis (and others)...Chuck Clark...that's how I became affiliated with the Jiyushinkai. It has roots in Tomiki Aikido. It does not however follow the complete Tomiki curriculum. For one thing, we don't compete. The dojo where I began my training was affiliated with Jiyushinkai and just happened to paint "Tomiki Aikido" on the wall. Perhaps they thought that would attract more students. That was a long time ago. That dojo doesn't even exist anymore but two more dojo's have sprouted from that one since then...one of them is mine. So, to be more precise I practice Jiyushinkai Aikibudo. But without Tomiki sensei, Jiyushinkai Aikibudo would probably be very different today.

Dr. Ah Loi Lee...I have read some things about her but am not very familiar with her work. I will look her up though and learn more. I love digging into my roots and seeing familiar stuff. It's neat to see the directions styles take...how they stay the same and how they differ under new teachers...fascinating!

If you practice Tomiki Aikido, we're speaking the same language!

Take care,
Shane