PDA

View Full Version : Bokken Kata

Please visit our sponsor:

Amy Mann
06-19-2004, 06:10 PM
I've been learning Aikido for about 2 months now, and I really enjoy the bokken work we do, but I'm really bad at it... Does anyone know any good websites for bokken kata so that I can have something to learn and practise with at home? Thanks.

Greg Jennings
06-19-2004, 06:26 PM
Hi Amy,

Welcome to Aikido. The problem is that there isn't one, uniform, bokken syllabus for all of aikido. You'll have to find one that is specific to your particular aikido group.

Since you don't say what it is and you don't have it in your profile, most of us won't know how to help.

Regards,

M G
06-30-2004, 04:15 AM
Hello, this is one of the kata's i like to train at home, i've tried to explain it step by step the best i can, but if you have any questions i'll be glad to anwser them.

Niho zenshin zengo kiri rensu kude.

Starting position: N, right foot forward.
· N, step in with left, shomen uchi.
· N, step in with right, shomen uchi.
· Z, 180° turn on the spot, shomen uchi.
· Z, step in with right, shomen uchi.
· Z, step in with left, shomen uchi.
· N, 180° turn on the spot, shomen uchi.

· N, step in with left, step in with right, shomen uchi.
· Z, step in with right, step in with left, shomen uchi.

· N, step in with left, step in with right, tsuki.
· Z, step in with right, step in with left, tsuki.

· N, step back with right and defend with bokken above the head (roof).
· Z, 180° turn on the spot, step in with left, shomen uchi.
· N, 180° turn on the spot, open your left hand, cut open belly with (only) right hand.
· N, lift bokken, join left hand, step in with left, shomen uchi.
· N, step back with left and defend with bokken above the head (roof).
· Z, 180° turn on the spot, step in with right, shomen uchi.
· N, 180° turn on the spot, open your right hand, cut open belly with (only) left hand.
· N, lift bokken, join right hand, step in with right, shomen uchi.

· Sankaku: NW, jump in with left, lift, NE, jump in with right, shomen uchi.
· Sankaku: ZW, jump in with right, lift, ZE, jump in with left, shomen uchi.

· Zanshin.

M G
07-10-2004, 11:54 AM
By the way, there could be some mistakes in the translation because i translated it from dutch to english.

Z should be S for South, but the rest should be ok (for now).

Sorry.

Charles Hill
07-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Hi Machiel,

I believe what you are referring to is one of Shirata Rinjiro Shihan`s ken kata. You can get more info on it from John Stevens` Aikido: The Way of Harmony book.

Charles Hill

markwalsh
07-11-2004, 05:24 AM
HI Amy,

Who do yuo train with? Chiba sensei has had a huge influence on Briitish Aikido and many people practice his bokken kata. It relates to empty hand work (particualry shiho nage) and a desreiption can be found here:

http://aikidofaq.com/practice/bokken_kata.html

Have a good one,

Mark

dan guthrie
07-11-2004, 09:39 AM
I've been learning Aikido for about 2 months now, and I really enjoy the bokken work we do, but I'm really bad at it... Does anyone know any good websites for bokken kata so that I can have something to learn and practice with at home? Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about stinking for the first year or so. I'm new here, also, but I started weapons as soon as I could.
Whatever you do, don't give up. The two hardest parts of bokken work, for me at least, is the humiliation of everyone being so much better than me and the embarrassment of everyone being so much better than me.

IMHO don't use websites or practice at home, except to learn the names. You can pick up bad habits that will be hard to erase and your ceiling will get long scratches.

You probably want to be Obi-wan kenobi. I want to be Zorro. :cool:

Jeff Stallard
07-29-2004, 11:57 AM
I wouldn't worry about stinking for the
IMHO don't use websites or practice at home, except to learn the names. You can pick up bad habits that will be hard to erase and your ceiling will get long scratches.

I agree that you should learn the basic cuts and steps in person, but after that I say feel free to practice whatever kata you want by yourself. Just remember to go really slow and concentrate on smooth, flowing movements.

Goye
07-29-2004, 03:01 PM
The only advice I can give you is to ask your sensei. He/she can help you more than us because is the person who knows what you should know.

There are some videoclips of katas and suburis in the web but I think is better to talk to your sensei.