PDA

View Full Version : Another question

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

benny
06-21-2000, 01:22 PM
Simple one (I think): is there any difference in meaning between 'tori' and 'nage'? Is 'tori' usually used in tomiki-ryu? The reason I say this is because I noticed Chuck Clark use the term, and my sensei also uses it.

Chuck Clark
06-21-2000, 05:29 PM
Hi Benny,

Yes, "tori" (taker) is the term used in both judo and Tomiki Aikido. With both judo and Tomiki Sensei's system in my lineage, I have used the term for my whole practice life. I also practiced Aikikai style in France and Canada for several years and could never really get used to the term "nage" (thrower).

Tori has a connotation of "taking" uke's center/spirit/initiative (all those good words...) as you blend with them. You can blend with someone without taking all that stuff (it's called dancing for one thing) but in a budo practice, you must take and keep the sente (initiative or lead).

Victor
07-21-2000, 03:56 AM
AFAIK the term "tori" is also used in several styles of karate, too.

Nick
07-21-2000, 04:45 PM
yes, my style of karate used that term. But Victor, you said at the beginning of your post "AFAIK"... what's that stand for?

-Nick

bodly
07-21-2000, 05:08 PM
As far as I know, it stands for As Far As I Know.

Bodly

Nick
07-21-2000, 05:52 PM
Ahh, wakarimasu.

Thanks,

-Nick

AikiTom
07-21-2000, 06:53 PM
I've seen "tori" used in older traditional aikido writings, so apparently it's more prevalent in Tomiki, but not limited to it.

Victor
07-24-2000, 03:11 AM
Why is the term "nage" correct when describing some techniques osae-waza?