PDA

View Full Version : Just a request for information...

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Aemon_
06-05-2004, 01:31 PM
Could someone tell me a little bit about WadoKai Aikido?

Thanks alot in advance.

later

Larry Feldman
06-05-2004, 07:16 PM
I believe it is founded by Roy Suenaka, author of Complete Aikido.

Roy studied under O-Sensei and Tohei, and went with Tohei in the big 'split'. Since gone independant and teaches in Charleston SC. He also has a rather strong backround in a style of karate.

I know one of his senior students in Atlanta - good guy.
One of our instructors (Shin Budio Kai), knows Roy and practiced with him, and was very complementary.

Not sure why you are asking, but worth a look/visit.

Aemon_
06-05-2004, 08:59 PM
thank you very much.

my wife and i are moving to the charleston area. just wanted to do a little asking around.

thank you again.

later

aikidoc
06-05-2004, 09:40 PM
Larry's comments are correct to my knowledge. He is apparently one of the many who spit off Ki Society and formed his own group. He is not aikikai affiliated but rather independent to my knowledge.

Chris Li
06-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Larry's comments are correct to my knowledge. He is apparently one of the many who spit off Ki Society and formed his own group. He is not aikikai affiliated but rather independent to my knowledge.

Interestingly, he also holds a menko kaiden in Aikido from Morihei Ueshiba, although exactly what that means is anybody's guess.

Best,

Chris

Brehan Crawford
06-06-2004, 01:31 AM
I (sort of) know a guy who trains with them in Virginia and likes it a lot. From what he says, they practice with a lot of resistance and have absolutely insane kyu tests.

If I were looking for a new dojo and there was a Wadokai school in my area I would definitely check them out.

mark bloeth
06-25-2004, 12:22 PM
Just became a aikiweb member today and saw this thread.

I've been a Wadokai member for about a year now studying Suenaka Ha Tetsugaku Ho Aikido. I had the pleasure of meeting him for a 7 day long Aikido Summer Camp just last week in Cheraw, SC. It was very hard but very satisfying training (my body is slowly recovering!). Not only does Suenaka Sensei exhibit incredible waza (many of which had to be slowed down for us to grasp the subtleties) but he really expresses a deep love of his fellow aikidoka and a sincere humility in his instruction. He also emphasizes aikido's history, his personal history and philosphy and vocabulary which is asked of his students during testing. I would suggest that if anyone has the opportunity to meet him at a Seminar or attend a Wadokai affiliated school, you would not regret it.