PDA

View Full Version : Sweating

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Infamousapa
06-02-2004, 02:49 AM
I really fell embarrased when training because I sweat more than most of the students..Its like my fist roll on the mat and im perspiring badly..Then when we train with partners I feel embarrassed when with a female,or a child,because im all sticky and probably disgusting them or ruining their training because of my sweat..Should I feel embarrassed ? what can I do to help control the sweat? ALL REPLY IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.. THANKYOU

ian
06-02-2004, 06:25 AM
Don't try and control the sweat! Sweating is useful for removing heat (fitter people actually tend to sweat more). Get a small towel and wipe yourself/ the floor regularly. Drink plenty of water.

Ian

BLangille
06-02-2004, 07:27 AM
I have exactly the same problem, and it used to bother me alot but I'm starting to get over it. Now that the weather is getting warmer I actually feel better because everyone is sweating, so I dont feel like its just me. I keep a small towel with me and that helps. Also, I feel more comfortable wearing a regular weight judo gi (either single or double weave) rather that a lightweight one.
Good luck!

ruthmc
06-02-2004, 07:53 AM
Sweating is a natural and normal body function. It helps to cool the body and cleanse it of toxins - it's very good for you :)

Don't be embarassed by it. If other people don't like it it's their problem and they don't have to train with you. You are not ruining anybody's training by sweating!

If the women and children in your dojo aren't sweating they're probably not training hard enough ;)

I like to work up a sweat in the dojo - it's cheaper than the sauna :D and it means I'm training hard enough. If I'm happy to sweat I can hardly be disgusted by anybody else doing it!

Ruth

I really fell embarrased when training because I sweat more than most of the students..Its like my fist roll on the mat and im perspiring badly..Then when we train with partners I feel embarrassed when with a female,or a child,because im all sticky and probably disgusting them or ruining their training because of my sweat..Should I feel embarrassed ? what can I do to help control the sweat? ALL REPLY IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.. THANKYOU

Zato Ichi
06-02-2004, 08:23 AM
Advice? Don't worry about it. Seriously.

I am the exact same way... half way through our warm up I've almost soaked my dogi through, and we wear judo dogi! You can always tell where I've been training, as my ukemi tend to leave little sweat puddles :yuck:. Just bring a small cloth you can use to wipe your face and any sweat you leave on the mats, and forget about it. It's a natural process and some sweat more than others.

drDalek
06-02-2004, 09:27 AM
I find that if I drink a lot of water during the day before an Aikido class, my sweat is not as eye-stingingly salty and does not smell as bad when it dries. So my advice would to be to drink a lot of water, and sweat lots of relatively diluted non-disgusting sweat :D

I like to partner with the sweatier types in my dojo, if you are sweating it means you are well warmed up and stand less chance to injure yourself as uke (although it makes grabbing him when he is nage a bit more difficult when his wrists are wet and slippery).

Don_Modesto
06-02-2004, 01:50 PM
I really fell embarrased when training because I sweat more than most of the students..Its like my fist roll on the mat and im perspiring badly.

Join the club.

I used to try to get seminar hosts to take the event picture before training rather than after so I didn't always look so bedraggled. Everyone smiled condescendingly so I just got a flattop instead. The upside is that it's saving me on shampoo.

Clayton Drescher
06-02-2004, 05:19 PM
I call sweating my "Super Secret Aikido Jutsu." No one can get a good grip so I escape pretty easily ;-). A yudansha and I are the worst sweaters in the dojo (even though its cold in San Francisco), but its all taken in good fun. I should start keeping a towel tucked into my gi jacket. Wrist bands dont help much because they twist, bunch, and soak through faster than my gi, so I wouldn't really suggest those. I may try some of those Under Armour shirts I think they're called, but they seem like wearing that may even be hotter.

CD

Janet Rosen
06-02-2004, 06:05 PM
heheheh, yes even here in San Francisco folks sweat a lot! The only partner it ever bothered me with was a fellow who let the drips fall off his nose or chin onto his partner. Pretty gross form of atemi--as others noted, carrying a small towel or washcloth tucked into your gi top will let you mop face as needed.

Jeanne Shepard
06-02-2004, 07:22 PM
On a serious note, if you are really concerned and are letting it keep you from training, see a doctor who knows about the use of botox for excessive sweating. One of the Rehab. doctors at the hospital where I work specializes in it. Its changed the lives of some people, especially self conscious young people.

Jeanne

Noel
06-02-2004, 09:15 PM
I break a sweat just warming up and stretching. Besides a towel inside my dogi jacket, the best thing to do (IMO) is enjoy the Edvard Munch-esque patterns you can leave (a la The Scream) on a canvas mat.

Bronson
06-02-2004, 09:21 PM
Hell, I start sweating putting on my gi and hakama. As long as you don't stink don't worry about it. It's like a sneeze, cough, or fart on the mat...it happens then you move on.

Bronson

Infamousapa
06-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Thankyou Everyone For Your Replies.....i Feel Much Better Knowing Its Only Natural...........thankyou