PDA

View Full Version : a question about aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

kfsschaosmaster
06-01-2004, 02:40 PM
hey everyone,
i'm Joe. i'm not doing aikido. i'm really doing kung fu but i hope that's ok? i like learning about different martial arts. my question. about aikido. in aikido you use a sword rigtht? so is it the same style as being a samurai? i saw something on tv about a martial art in japan where they train people to be samurai i think it might be aikido. thank you for your time.
-Joe:)

jxa127
06-01-2004, 03:04 PM
Hi Joe,

The simple answer is yes, the sword work we do in aikido is descended from one or more of the sword styles studied by the samurai.

Aikido sword work (often referred to as aiki-ken) is not a complete system or style. Rather, it's a subset of sword techniques and kata that relate very closely to our empty-hand work.

Meik Skoss states in the article (linked below) that "... the weapons training sequences most often associated with Ueshiba-style aikido most clearly resembled those of the Kashima Shinto-ryu."

http://www.koryu.com/library/mskoss3.html

Ueshiba is, of course, Morihei Ueshiba -- the founder of aikido.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Chuck.Gordon
06-02-2004, 04:11 AM
hey everyone,
i saw something on tv about a martial art in japan where they train people to be samurai ...

Actually NOBODY trains to be samurai anymore. The samurai as a class were abolished by Emporer Meiji in the 1800s.

There are extant 'samurai' arts, however, as many of today's budo systems were born from the training the warrior class engaged in.

Chuck

Orihime
06-02-2004, 04:23 AM
Actually NOBODY trains to be samurai anymore. The samurai as a class were abolished by Emporer Meiji in the 1800s.
More exactly it happened in the years 1870's.