PDA

View Full Version : What is "keiko"?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

James Giles
05-21-2004, 09:30 PM
I have seen the term "keiko" used several times in the forums but have not been able to determine what this word means. Can some of you out there help me out with this? Thanks, James

otto
05-21-2004, 09:53 PM
I understand one of its meanings is "practice"....

I'm sure there's more to it tough...

Largo
05-25-2004, 11:16 PM
It depends on the kanji. It can be a girl's name :D

It is kind of like training, but there is a more spiritual connotation (I think). For regular sports, like baseball, you would say renshu.

James Giles
05-25-2004, 11:41 PM
Thank you, Ottoniel and Paul for clearing that up for me! James

Ron Tisdale
05-27-2004, 09:16 AM
keiko

To reflect deeply on the past

It has the connotation of studying a tradition, not simply practicing techniques.

It tends to be the way I think of my time on the mat...

Ron

Peter Goldsbury
05-27-2004, 05:09 PM
m KEIKO. This is a compound word composed of
(1) m The 厚 Daijigen gives 'kanga(eru)' and 'todo(meru)' as readings for this word. There are several basic meanings: to think or dispute, to stop, and to bow low. The Chinese-derived reading (from ji / qi) is KEI. This is combined with:
(2) furu(i), inishie, meaning old or ancient times. The Chinese-derived reading (from gu) is KO and the combination gives KEI-KO, which means to consider or contemplate ancient matters and by transference, to pursue scholarship, academic learning, or other training.

otto
05-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Thanks Ron and P.Goldsbury for such elaboration on the word as related to martial practice.

Your post are appreciated and will be plagiarized :D.

Yours..

Largo
05-27-2004, 07:30 PM
P.Goldsbury- If that's true, could you use keiko to describe training in calligraphy or other art forms?

Geoff Flather
06-22-2004, 05:25 PM
Hello James,

As always it depends on the kanji. Keiko could be an oral contraceptive pill, a tendency toward something, provisions you carry.

Yes you could utilise the word to describe any training, apparrently.

Thank you for asking your question

Jeffrey A. Fong
06-22-2004, 05:51 PM
And here I thought Keiko was Chief O'Brien's wife....