View Full Version : Hot or hotter?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

05-20-2004, 05:45 PM
Within the concept of martial arts do you consider aikido closer to sushi or tempura? This may sound silly at first read, but think about it before posting. Sushi is "raw" and tempura reflects "experience" or "heat". Cloaked vs "as is". One you can see, the other is not so obvious. A bit like comparing different styles of aikido or even different martial arts. Maybe different personalities. Don't know if I'm being clear here. Any thoughts?

05-20-2004, 06:25 PM
Which would you rather have just eaten before training?

05-20-2004, 06:31 PM
I will say Sushi would be closer , in my mind Aikido has always been about naturality , fluidity , lively movement....whereas anything too cooked up , made up would be akward , artificial...unaiki..

Does that make any sense to you?

05-20-2004, 07:59 PM
Sushi. After all, you can always work a tempura theme into sushi.

Besides, my all-time favorite maki, spicy tuna with daikon, just don't tempura well ;)

Tempura is merely one technique, let's say a good, eye opening nikkyo. Sushi is the whole gamut of experience from the subtle taste of a nice piece of salmon nigiri, to the mind-bending yonkyo of wasabi-laced tobiko roe, with stops such as the pleasant savor of barbecued eel. (Just like shihonage, I could spend all night savoring it, and be content)

IMO, sushi is the canvas of expression, tempura is one of the colors on the palate.

05-20-2004, 08:42 PM
Tuna Tataki with a Mexican Roll 1 (which is shrimp tempura sushi). Mmmmm.

05-20-2004, 08:43 PM
I think you mean sashimi, not sushi.

05-20-2004, 11:41 PM
hmmm...tempura- bad for you but easy to make.
sushi- not good on a summer day. :crazy:

I guess neither one works for me.

Gareth Hinds
05-24-2004, 10:17 AM
I think the obvious answer is sushi; but as a mental exercise I tried to think of a case for tempura, and here's what I came up with: in sushi the ingredients stay separate, but tempura blends with whatever you throw into it and just becomes tempura. Like really good aikido takes whatever uke's energy is and blends and makes aikido out of it. (Of course by that reasoning there's probably something even more aiki than tempura, like a smoothie or a nice jambalaya or something.)

05-25-2004, 07:26 AM
You're looking at this as nage... . But what about uke?
I think you would prefer a sushi type uke, one who might be a little slippery, but flexible and able to move well, and every now and then you get one with that extra little wasabi punch (secondary attack)!

Have you ever done nikkyo on something deep-fried? My guess would be that it would crumble into lots of little pieces, leaving the tender innards spilling out all over the mat, and who really wants to stop class to clean that up! :yuck:

05-26-2004, 12:10 PM
I have never tried either of those, am i missing out? Or is it an aqquired taste?