PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie

Please visit our sponsor:

Joshua Kaufman
05-20-2004, 12:04 PM
Hello. Four years ago, I called a dojo and set up a meeting to try aikido. I did this because I was lost in my life, and looking for something to show me the way. I never took that meeting. Instead, I took the LSATs, and went to Law School at night while continuing to work full time. Throughout school, I told myself, when I am done, I will go to the Dojo. I graduated on Saturday, and last night was my first time practicing.
Incredible. I was on mats with very advanced students, and they showed ME respect, patience and understanding. I have never felt anything quite like that before.
I rock climb. In climbing, beginners are often (though not always,and not by everyone) initiated by fire socially as well as in skills. Last night, I was made to feel like a moral equal, though I was advanced in skills.
Aikido, form what little I know and have read, seems to closely match my own philosophy of how one fits in the universe.
My legs are a little sore, i find myself struggling to remember even one of the things I was shown last night, but all I know is I can't wait to go back on Monday.
If the community on these forums is anything like what I felt last night, I fear you may be hearing a great deal from me.

I look forward to hearing from, and learning from you all.

Josh Kaufman

Joshua Kaufman
05-20-2004, 01:35 PM
I'm sorry, I realize I wrote that I was treated as a moral equal even though I WAS advenced in skills, obviosuly, as a complete beginner, I meant to write I was NOT Advanced in skills.

Greg Jennings
05-20-2004, 01:46 PM
Hi Joshua,

Welcome to the infinite journey.

Best regards,

DarkShodan
05-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Welcome! Or is the infinite destination? I should start that thread.

Joshua, I am glad you had an excellent first experience. Frustration is the first step in learning, and you shall 'learn' a lot. If you can remember one thing, one technique from your first session, then you are way ahead of the game. I did rock climbing a while back. Would like to try it again since I joined aikido. Wonder if my climbing technique would be different. Hmmmmm...

Joshua Kaufman
05-20-2004, 02:58 PM
Lloyd,
I am trying to even remember how to do the rolls we did at the beginning. I might have to wait for more reinforcement on Monday. After getting into Aikido, I am sure your technique in climbing would be different, adnd probably much better. Those I have seem come back to climbing after some martial arts training invariably have better balance, strength and body awareness. Not to mention one's abiltiy to physically perform while under mental and physical stress. If you are ever in Rhode Islnad, I would be happy to help you with that experiment.

Josh

Janet Rosen
05-20-2004, 04:13 PM
Welcome to aikiweb, welcome to this wonderful frustrating joyful path of aikido.

akiy
05-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Hi Josh,

It sounds like you're well on your way to having fun in aikido! Welcome to the AikiWeb Forums.

-- Jun