View Full Version : Ten year shodan?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

05-07-2004, 06:16 PM
Hi everyone,

I am glad to have discovered this forum and look forward to discovering what is an Aiki-web.

I am from Yuishinkai Aikido in Australia. I am currently trying to set a record for the longest time taken to reach shodan...Eight years and still going...is it true that just like university that after ten years you have to start again?

A big hello from anyone else from Yuishinkai around the world and feel free to say hi!

Aran Bright

05-07-2004, 07:39 PM
I know a guy who did iaido for 19 years before getting his shodan. I'm trying my darndest to beat him.

05-08-2004, 12:09 AM
You have a long way to go to break any record. :D
I have a sempai who took 16 years to get his shodan. That was 8 years ago and he seems in no hurry to get his nidan.

05-08-2004, 03:50 AM
Took me 13 years, though I moved around a lot.

Yes - after 10 years you do have to start again, but you start from an entirely different point ;)

05-08-2004, 04:34 AM
gud day sirs im new here also and just joined in on a thread of a new comer like me.:)

by the way shodan took me 12yrs. to achieve and very tired now but the mind hungers for something....?
just think if you could reach sandan at this rate it would be times 30.
hihihi! ouch! idea is dont think about it as my sensie says enjoy everything.:)

Marshall Sandoz
05-08-2004, 08:13 AM
Five years and counting here. My first Sensei (Iwama ryu) travelled to teach where I live until his driver's license got suspended for back child support issues that he was unaware of. I was very near brown belt (trained to that level but never tested) when our classes were abruptly cancelled. My second/present Sensei (Tomiki ryu) is involved in the military (need I say more?) and our classes have become few and far between. At this rate I may never make shodan, but I still enjoy training and learning when I have the opportunity. So, if any of you guys are looking for a place to open a school or teach at an existing one, northwest Louisiana is wide open territory.