PDA

View Full Version : Teen in Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

inverse tsunami
05-06-2004, 11:10 PM
Hello everyone, im new

i just started Aikido about a month ago and it seems to be really cool
the only thing is that i noticed that there are hardly any teens in the class. Actually there aren't any that are highschool age.

i was wondering if it is like this everywhere or just where i am,
do you guys have a lot of people training between the ages of 15 and 20?
its just sorta weird training with people who are older than me, im used to playing sports where everyone is within a few years of my age. Think Aikido is a good thing to do for someone my age?

-carrie :)

Clayton Drescher
05-07-2004, 12:10 AM
I'm 20, and one of the youngest in the dojo, but everyone's pretty equal on the mat, I don't really notice an age difference much at all as long as everyone is mature and respectful. If life outside the dojo doesn't really come up in conversation, its very hard to tell much about anyone at all since we're all wearing the same thing and doing the same thing ;-)

Good luck,
CD

Jerry Miller
05-07-2004, 12:40 AM
I was 12 when I first started aikido. Most if not all of the others back then were grown up. I was tall enough just not filled out yet. There were no problems. It was kind of fun to slam a grown up. Go have fun

Blade_Looper
05-07-2004, 03:10 AM
Hello Carrie!
Aikido is good to do for evreyone who have the ability to listen and learn. In our Dojo more than half of the students are in the age of 14-20 years old. I can understand that it feels a little wierd to not have anyone in about the same age as you but maybe there will come more now that you have comed to your dojo.

Hope that I could help you!

GaiaM
05-08-2004, 04:29 PM
Carrie,
I started Aikido when I was 16 and it was great! Yes, most people in the dojo were older than me, but that was one of the best parts - getting to interact with people of all ages in a setting where it didn't really matter. In my current dojo we have a number of teens (as young as 11) in the class and they are great to train with! Just think what a head start you have on people who don't start until they are older!
Have fun!
Gaia

wendyrowe
05-08-2004, 06:05 PM
We generally have 8-12 students in class; the youngest is 13, the oldest 60.
The 13-year-old is my size (5'4", 120 lbs) so we often work together since we can work
on our technique with neither of us muscling the other -- that way, we'll both have the
cleaner technique we'll need when we take on the bigger&stronger people in class who
still resort to muscling their techniques. Two other regulars are 15-year-olds; one seems
to have raved about class to his friend, who then decided to join. We used to have two
more young teens, one small but strong and the other large but strong, but they both left
when they got too busy with high school wrestling.

So, we have more teens (3) than women (2) -- but we have no teen women in aikido class.
The teen females seem to stick with the karate classes in the same school, where they'd
been taking classes before aikido joined the lineup.

I have a great time training with everyone in class. Everyone's got a great attitude,
everyone is respectful of each other, and all are careful not to harm their uke.
Everyone has a slightly (at least) different way of doing things, so I learn something new
when working with each person .

GrazZ
05-08-2004, 10:02 PM
im almost 20 and definatly one of the youngest at the dojo, seems to me that most teens arnt into the whole "no muscle, no resistence, ki" stuff, instead they tend to go for the kung-fu's and karate's of the martial arts world to bash stuff....plus alot of ppl our age simply dont have the patience, dicipline, desire and mental toughness it takes to do aikido.

cuguacuarana
05-09-2004, 12:59 AM
I'm 21 and the second youngest student in the adult classes at my dojo. The youngest is 12 years old. I think you should definitely stick with it, even if you are the only person your age there (as long as you like it, that is). When I was 13 I took karate at a dojo in Denver and was by far the youngest student there, so I can understand how it feels to be the only young student. I felt weird then, but now I am in the older students' shoes and am excited to see someone as young as 12 taking classes. I would be willing to guess that most of the older students at your dojo feel similarly. In fact, I bet the majority of them wish they had started when they were your age.

WylMorris
05-09-2004, 05:41 AM
I'm 16 too and the second youngest in the Dojo. Most of the people there are now in the 20-21 agegroup, but started around the same age as me (I started at 15). Our dojo is pretty young,i'd estimate the average age at about 21, tho I'm not sure.

Aikido is good for any age though, aslong as your mature enough to have a good attitude towards it.

~wyl

Ninja Mike
05-12-2004, 08:26 PM
hey whats goin on??? i started aikido when i was 13, im 16 now and im still the youngest person in my dojo, it's a shame that ,more teens don't get involved in it. my friends started getting interested in it when they see me walk away from fights and stuff, now that i have my licence they might start coming up with me. (and i refuse to take the guys who have the wrong attitude towards it)

MaryKaye
05-13-2004, 12:00 AM
Our Saturday class lately has been a 40-year-old (me) and a 13-year-old. He's more experienced than I am as he's a graduate of our kids' classes, but he's still adjusting to being treated as an adult (as well as adjusting to having grown about four inches in a year). I think he's a great training partner, and I wish we had more. Our dojo has a very high average age, not counting the kids' classes: about half of us are over 35.

One dojo in Seattle does a dedicated teen program with social events as well as aikido classes, and they have tons of teenagers. I took a few classes there while my dojo was closed, and so I know something about being the odd person out--one Saturday it was me and fifteen teenagers. (Sensei shrugged and said "They pledge to come to one adult class a week as well as their own, I can't help it if they all pick Saturday.") I learned a heck of a lot from them. One of them liked to test my pins and holds, and taught me very quickly when I was doing them right and when I was just faking--he was much more challenging in this regard than any of my adult training partners have been. (More limber, I suspect.)

It's weird and initially uncomfortable being different from everyone else, whether it's being the only teen, the only adult, the only woman.... If you stick it out, the discomfort generally gets better. And a place with one (teen/adult/woman/whatever) may well attract more. One of the women in our novice class told me that seeing me among the senior students helped encourage her to stick with aikido. Maybe you can do the same for teenagers.

Mary Kaye

Orihime
05-17-2004, 07:48 AM
Hi!
I'm 19 and I started Aikido at 15. In one my dojo most of the "regular" students are adults and males (I'm one of the youngest, but NOT the youngest either). In the other one there are a lot of students of my university, so they are 18, 19, 21... but not many teens. Most of the university students are beginners, but I hope they will stick around... and that there will be more teens too.

David_francis
05-24-2004, 07:26 AM
Im the 3rd youngest in my dojo but the dojo also holds special kids lessons on sundays which kids from 5-12 go to. Im 16 and have been doing aikido for about 2 months so im quite new at it, i think the youngest in my class is 13 and the eldest is in his 70s. It feels kinda strange being thrown across the mat by a 70yr old but then it feels the same being thrown by a 13yr old who both have been going longer than me.

Robyn Johnson
05-24-2004, 08:50 AM
I was 18 when I first started Aikido. I was the youngest person in the class then and at 22 now, I still am the youngest person! The older guys occasionally tell me that they wish that they started Aikido when they were my age or younger as maybe it would have been easier since they wouldn't have had as much aches and pains. Any time at any age is a great time to start Aikido compared with never trying it at all.

Robyn :)