PDA

View Full Version : Tea and Teapots

Please visit our sponsor:

Godzilla
02-02-2001, 04:48 PM
I just bought a traditional cast iron teapot for my office. I am using loose green tea leaves. I love it but need more suggestions for teas that taste good. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

njkt
04-08-2001, 03:26 PM
i have an idea for you.
as i understand you have green tea, and if you have any Mint or Spearmint leaves try uning Spearmint with your green tea to give it more flavore

mornmd
04-08-2001, 03:44 PM
lightens the flavor of green tea. Certainly better than sugar. Not too much caffeine in green tea, nor calories, and with its strong antioxidants, it appears to be healthful for aikidokas and nonaikidokas alike. Some of the Japenese green teas are fine ground (sencha/macha), and I find to be tastier.

Matthew

jimvance
04-18-2001, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Godzilla
I just bought a traditional cast iron teapot for my office. I am using loose green tea leaves. I love it but need more suggestions for teas that taste good. Any suggestions?

I work at a Japanese grocery store, and we sell a lot of green tea. If you are looking for a nice green tea, try to find something called "Gyokuromatsu". It is the tender tea leaves from new shoots, grown on smaller select lots in Japan. If you find some, do not boil. Only simmer. As a side note, you can decaffinate your green teas by steeping them for a minute, pouring off the liquid, then adding more hot water to the same tea leaves. Side note number two is that if the enamel on the inside of your pot starts to come off, and you are having rust problems, boil green tea in the pot for about 20 minutes. The oils (?) coat the inside of the pot and inhibit rust.
A tasty alternative to straight green tea is "Gen-mai cha" which is roasted brown rice blended with green tea. It has a nutty flavor and is milder than green tea. A lot of Japanese prefer to drink that as it is more palatable and not as expensive as green tea. If you have an asian market near you, you should be able to find both of these. If not, let me know and I can hook you up.

Cheers!

Jim Vance

Simone
04-18-2001, 02:30 AM
Hi Jeff!

Reading your post I wanted to suggest you try to get Genmaicha, but Jim was faster. I first had Genmaicha in the Japanese restaurant we sometimes go and two weeks ago I was able to buy some Genmaicha. It tasts as wounderful as in the restaurant. Try it.

Simone