PDA

View Full Version : how to execute the perfect kokyunage?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Sonnyboy
05-04-2004, 12:48 AM
hi guys
im having a hard time doing the kokyunage technique,
especially when my partner is much taller than me. its so heavy that i tried to use my physical strength to throw my partner even using atemi its still the same..what sould i do?
do i need a special exercise to develop my throwing?

Paul Sanderson-Cimino
05-04-2004, 12:59 AM
Which kokyunage technique? It's quite a broad category...personally, I think anything that doesn't fit into one of the other throw definitions gets called a 'kokyunage'. ^_-

Greg Jennings
05-04-2004, 06:46 AM
Which kokyunage technique?
And to make matters worse, the Ki Society-derived schools use the name for what we call "irimi nage".

Regards,

Nick Simpson
05-04-2004, 07:35 AM
Hmmm, I love kokyunage.

SeiserL
05-04-2004, 09:07 AM
IMHO, Kokyu-nages have been the hardest for me to learn. They are breath or timing throws. Therefore, being that taller training partner, I would suggest you look at your timing, your posture, and your distance. If you time it right, your training partner will have some of their own momentum and your movement will begin to break their balance. If your posture is right, you will empty the space so they can fall without pulling them into it. If your distance is right, you will become the center of the technique without pulling or pushing.

It is too hard to give anything of worth without seeing you do the specific technique you are talking about. Ask a Sempai.

Have patience, Kokyu-nage takes time. There is no "perfect". Relax, breath, and enjoy yourself. Get out of your head and pay attention to your training. You'll get it.

Sonnyboy
05-04-2004, 10:43 PM
the basic heaven & earth throw, we called it the long form irimi-nage.. its like shomen uchi irimi-nage

and addition to that,when i partnerd with my sensei its easy for me to execute this technique but with my fellow aikidoka my tech sucks! its hard for me to blend, its like throwing a large fat cow!!! :) my sensei always tells me that my footwork, my stance, my balance are all correct but still i cant do it correctly, and this drives me nuts! ive done everything to improve my throwing, i practice happo giri, aiki jen, aiki jo...

Sonnyboy
05-04-2004, 10:45 PM
thanks lynn... i guess patience is all i need..

Nafis Zahir
05-04-2004, 11:19 PM
Sonny,

I'm 6 feet tall. Shorter people tell me they have the same problem. Just because you're short and already under my center doesn't mean a thing. The answer to your question is: DROP YOUR CENTER! You can't throw someone at all, especially if they're taller than you if you don't your center and arch the person so that they lose their balance. Also, when you drop your center, don't lean over.

arderljohn
06-27-2004, 11:52 PM
thanks lynn... i guess patience is all i need..

hi Sonny!

you finally made ur own answer with ur own question... sometimes patience really did a lot of things to us especially to our arts. but the good thing here is you have someone to share it :)

Kokyo Nage.... in my part?, no. I'm hardly having a hard time practicing the Koshi nage rather than in Kokyo nage. as they said "practice makes perfect" di ba?

Good luck :)