PDA

View Full Version : Nightmares after Aikido?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

dream
05-03-2004, 08:08 PM
I know this is off the wall but I would like some comment.
Now, my aikido lessons usually end quite late, and I would sleep a few hours after class. Sometime during my sleep, I will experiance "sleep paralysis", which is harmless but very frightening.
Sleep paralysis is by no mean uncommon, it is a natural bodily function that causes us to be paralyzed during sleep. It prevents us hurting ourselves or others during dreams.There are many causes of sleep paralysis, stress included.
I have noticed that I am more likely to experiance it after a class, or more often during a period of heavy training than when I stopped classes for a while.
Does anyone else have this problem?

MitchMZ
05-03-2004, 08:20 PM
Actually since I've started Aikido I've been much more calm; especially in my sleep. Before I found Aikido I had nothing to look forward to and that led to me thinking to me about stressful things and not being able to sleep. Now I just think about Aikido technqiues and go right to bed haha.

Jeff Tibbetts
05-03-2004, 11:54 PM
I have to agree with Mitch here. I sleep far better than I ever have in my life since I started Aikido. I don't know if it's the physical exhaustion (doubtful, since I sleep better on nights I don't train) or if it's the mental clarity. Aikido for me is a serious stress-reliever, so I usually assume it's because of that.

Paul Sanderson-Cimino
05-03-2004, 11:55 PM
I had a bizarre dream last night...everyone had left the dojo, so I had to take down the buki racks myself. Not quite a nightmare, though.

As to sleep quality...well, breathing (which I've thought about much more since starting aikido) seems to really help. I now try to just lie on my back (nice breathing posture, though not how I naturally sleep) for like 15 minutes before going to sleep, focusing on deep inhaling/exhaling. I reccommend this, though I can't say what the actual benefits may be, aside from relaxation and breathing practice.

Lan Powers
05-04-2004, 12:04 AM
I had a bizarre dream last night...everyone had left the dojo, so I had to take down the buki racks myself. Not quite a nightmare, though.

As to sleep quality...well, breathing (which I've thought about much more since starting aikido) seems to really help. I now try to just lie on my back (nice breathing posture, though not how I naturally sleep) for like 15 minutes before going to sleep, focusing on deep inhaling/exhaling. I reccommend this, though I can't say what the actual benefits may be, aside from relaxation and breathing practice.

Just oxygenating your bloodstream is always a healthy and invigorating thing to do. I wonder if there is a relaxing benifit as well? Since deep breathing is a wonderful precurser to sleep for me as well.
Science anyone? (just a friendly sidetrack to this thread) :p

Robert Jackson
05-04-2004, 12:07 AM
Interesting, I've never thought about it. Honestly I haven't noticed any differnce myself. I'm pretty exhausted when I go to bed. Grad school, full time work, aikido, and still requiring a socail life of some sort can be pretty tiring ya know? :)

p00kiethebear
05-04-2004, 01:12 AM
"Sometime during my sleep, I will experiance "sleep paralysis""

Everyone experiences sleep paralysis. Do you mean you're becoming conscious while your still paralyized, unable to move? It's happened to me a few times and it was kinda freaky. It was like i was having a half nightmare / half reality while unable to move. I was laying in bed imagining someone trying to come through my door. I was trying to scream but i couldn't because my body wouldn't move. It is definitly a freaky situation.

I can say that it's happened more to me after i started aikido than before. But I don't think i can remember it ever happening particularly after practice or anything. How many times has it happened?

Mark Balogh
05-04-2004, 06:06 AM
I don't get nightmares, but I am too hyped up usually to fall asleep straight away. I teach so there are lots of things spinning around in my head, hindsight stuff, which I try and clear through meditation as I lie down. I get home about 10:30pm and it usually takes me an hour to drop off to sleep. Some maybe what I'm saying is "you aren't the only one", and "has anyone got over my problem!!!!" :D

Nick Simpson
05-04-2004, 06:23 AM
We didnt train last night due to the bank holiday and so I sat up till 3am wasting my time on the net, something feels like its missing when I dont train but I dont think ive been conscious of sleep paralysis, that does sound freaky...

Bronson
05-04-2004, 08:33 AM
"has anyone got over my problem!!!!" :D

I'm over your problem :D ;) :D

Bronson

Mark Balogh
05-04-2004, 08:38 AM
:lol: Well my friend, do tell me the secret cure!!! :lol:

PeaceHeather
05-04-2004, 01:16 PM
Last night, I dreamed aikido. I'm pretty sure I was practicing the wrist locks we had done in class that night, since I woke up feeling like I understood them better than I had before I went to sleep.

:cool:

Yeah, I do stuff like this. One time I had a temporary job as a secretary and dreamed that I was memorizing telephone extensions. Got up, went to work, knew more of the phone list than I had the day before.

What can I say?
Heather

Janet Rosen
05-04-2004, 02:05 PM
I wonder if there is something else connected to heavier training: a change in when you eat, a chance in electrolytes (sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium), etc?

zachbiesanz
05-04-2004, 02:56 PM
Last week I was taking an afternoon nap (there are nights where there's only 5 hours between work and class, so naps are essential), and I started dreaming about aikido class. Sure enough, I woke up 15 minutes late for practice.

At least the dream was timely. Sigh.

Largo
05-05-2004, 11:54 PM
yeah. In our dojo, we after class we have to mark down how many hours we've trained. There are 2 books marked 有級者(yukyuusha) and 有段者(yudansha). Anyways, I had this crazy dream where I had to write my hours in a book marked 油断者 (also pronounced yudansha, but the meaning of the second yudan is to make a careless or stupid mistake) :hypno:

so I don't know if it was an aikido nightmare or a learning japanese nightmare