PDA

View Full Version : Futari gakke advice wanted

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Largo
03-18-2004, 10:04 PM
I'm not sure what forum this should be in, but here goes. I have my shodan test coming up on saturday. I know I have to do futari gakke for the exam, but I've never done it before. So, if anyone has some advice, I'd love to hear it. Thanks

George S. Ledyard
03-18-2004, 10:49 PM
I'm not sure what forum this should be in, but here goes. I have my shodan test coming up on saturday. I know I have to do futari gakke for the exam, but I've never done it before. So, if anyone has some advice, I'd love to hear it. Thanks
My friend,

I just stumbled on this post. I can't say that I know what "futari gakke" is but for your sake I hope it's something really simple since you have only got a week to figure it out. In my experience a week is a bit late to start looking at the issues of things we don't know how to do. Good luck on the test and let us know how it goes...

Largo
03-18-2004, 11:37 PM
sorry about that. It is free sparring against 2 opponents. (actually, the test is tomorrow)

George S. Ledyard
03-19-2004, 12:08 AM
sorry about that. It is free sparring against 2 opponents. (actually, the test is tomorrow)
Well, then on a serious note, the mistake your are most likely to make is not remebering to breathe. You'll hit the wall i no time with no oxygen. Make sure that you keep breathing, put your attention mostly on your outbreath, it will help keep you from hitting that sucking wind state in which you thibk you aren't getting enoug air.

batemanb
03-19-2004, 01:13 AM
Ninnin dori, futari dori, futari keiko, futari geiko, are just some of the descriptions I have come across, futari gakke is a new one for me though.

George's advice is spot on, remembering to breathe is key. Just before you actually start the randori, in your head choose the uke you are going to deal with first, look him in the ai so he knows your coming and irimi to the side away from the other uke. Additionally, try not to go for pinning techniques, you'll end up fighting with one uke whilst the other is lumping you from behind. Focus more on tai sabaki and avoiding uke, nage waza is good, specifically kokyu. If you can, try and keep the uke your dealing with between you and the other one. Lastly, try not to turn your back on either uke, so a good idea to stay away from shihonage.

Since you haven't done this before, my guess is that they are just looking to see how you respond, they may even do it controlled (i.e. all attacks the same, or uke 2 waits until you have done uke 1), they may just do free for all. I can't believe that they will make it a major part of the test, so relax and do everything else to the best of your ability.

Good luck.

Rgds

Bryan

Aristeia
03-19-2004, 02:22 AM
One of the best pieces of advice I ever got for Futari Gake was this. In every technique there comes a time when it's over bar the throwing. e.g shiho nage you've got uke into position, there hand is in front of you the back bent and balance broken, all that's left is to cut down. This is the point you shift your focus to the next attacker (obviously the earlier in the technique you can do this without compromising the technique's effectiveness the better).

That extra second or half a second is the differnce between controlling the confrontation and being cramped and rushed. If you wait until the technique is absolutely complet before switching to the next guy we will be right on top of you. So as you're throwing guy number one be tracking guy number two - and then the instant you throw the first uke you can be engaging the second uke.

Bronson
03-22-2004, 01:39 AM
look him in the ai
:D :D :D

Bronson

Nafis Zahir
03-22-2004, 02:17 AM
Relax, I had to do five at the end of my Shodan test! You'll do well. Just dig deep and remember to breath!

Kensai
03-22-2004, 08:14 AM
Give them a good BUDO FACE!

aikidocapecod
03-22-2004, 08:24 AM
So Paul....How was the test??? Hope you did well. If you did your best...then you did great.

Largo
03-22-2004, 06:19 PM
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all of the great advice. It's amazing how hard it is to remember to do something as simple as breathe.

Anyways, the test went fine, and I passed (somehow or other).

George S. Ledyard
03-22-2004, 07:19 PM
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all of the great advice. It's amazing how hard it is to remember to do something as simple as breathe.

Anyways, the test went fine, and I passed (somehow or other).
Oh come on, more detail of the paired freestyle plaese. Ubless you don't remebr it which is always possible...

Largo
03-22-2004, 09:27 PM
I only remember bits and pieces of the paired freestyle. The thing I always noticed on other peoples' tests is that they seemed to retreat so much that when the attackers caught them, they got pinned and pummeled really quickly.

So, I started off by charging the smaller of the two (who was a head taller than I am) with a tsuki to the head. I caught the 2nd guy in an ikkyo and kind of used him as a shield from the 1st attacker (who was good an angry at this time). Anyways, I threw the guy I was holding at the 1st guy and they kind of went in a heap. After that it gets really blurry.

Anyways, on sunday I noticed that I apparantly got kicked in the ribs a couple of times (my right side is black and blue).

All in all, not bad. The other two who took the test with me that day didn't do so well. One go choked out, and the other got pinned in a nasty looking sankyo.

Aikilove
03-23-2004, 01:10 AM
Seems like you did ok... ;)

George S. Ledyard
03-23-2004, 12:13 PM
I only remember bits and pieces of the paired freestyle. The thing I always noticed on other peoples' tests is that they seemed to retreat so much that when the attackers caught them, they got pinned and pummeled really quickly.

So, I started off by charging the smaller of the two (who was a head taller than I am) with a tsuki to the head. I caught the 2nd guy in an ikkyo and kind of used him as a shield from the 1st attacker (who was good an angry at this time). Anyways, I threw the guy I was holding at the 1st guy and they kind of went in a heap. After that it gets really blurry.

Anyways, on sunday I noticed that I apparantly got kicked in the ribs a couple of times (my right side is black and blue).

All in all, not bad. The other two who took the test with me that day didn't do so well. One go choked out, and the other got pinned in a nasty looking sankyo.
If you acheived "The Heap" in a frestyle of that type you did just fine thankyou! Good job. Your observation about backing up was crucial to your success. If you took some hits, don't worry about it. It's very difficult not to take at least a few shots when doing a freestyle like that. Congratualtions!!!