PDA

View Full Version : Civil Rights

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

ikkitosennomusha
03-17-2004, 02:08 PM
Do you feel that one should be able to walk into an aikido dojo and train without biases in relation to age, gender, religion, etc.?

How would you feel about a dojo being under the sanctions of a particular religion in which students must esspouse themselves to the ideals of the doctrine being pressured?

How would you react to a sensei playing the role of a "God head"? Would you confront the sensei, stay, or leave? For an example, go to www.newlifeaikido.com and click on the "DojoRules" tab. It is obvious the article is trying to be politically correct but, don't you find it contradictory. Training at this place is worse than that article reads!

Thanks

Brad Medling

ikkitosennomusha
03-17-2004, 02:09 PM
Do you feel that a man can "judge" a person's heart??

Brad

Atomicpenguin
03-17-2004, 02:36 PM
I don't know what it's like practicing at this school. From what I can read on their site, it doesn't seem contradictory to me. I think that part of what we do in Aikido is to incorporate the art into our own perceptions of truth and use that in its pursuit. In premise all this seems to hold, to me. O Sensei incorporated his faith in the instruction of Aikido. Why can not someone else?

That being said, in text the idea that

"Our practice of Aikido is not, in any way, religious in nature. We typically focus on the physical, mental, and character issues related to training"

seems to conflict with the idea that

"At New Life Aikido this art is taught in a manner consistent with a Christian Faith Perspective."

and that

" Christ-centered and character-development principles " are employed.

My feeling is not that there is a problem in combining faith with Aikido, but that there is inconsistency in the first statement when held to what it seems the group's goals are.

ikkitosennomusha
03-17-2004, 03:17 PM
Exactly David!

Having trained there for 4 years, I can tell you the matter first hand. The faith aspect is alot more prevalent that the website portrays. O-sensei did not teach shintoism, nor did he hold his students under scrutiny of that practice. O-sensei taught his unfified theories and how aikido is unified in the universe. He did not teach to worship Budha or any of the sorts.

The site you read claims that one's heart will be judged and in it is in contempt of his religious principles or personal opinioins, the repriman will follow unless, he can see an immediate change in your heart. Don't you find this odd that one claims to be able to look in another's heart and determine what is actually there? I was verbally called out several times. If I happen to throw an uke too hard, then, the case was not my misjudgement or human error, it was that I was not in his faith and was a sinner!

I would not grade a student according to my personal beliefs not bring it into the dojo. I would not expect stewardship of my faith but expect that everyone practices with a moral conscience in order to respect one another. I mean if having the dojo at your own church and naming it as such, you can only imagine the way it is on the inside!

Brad

Ghost Fox
03-18-2004, 07:26 AM
Let it go Brad, ...just let it go.

SeiserL
03-18-2004, 09:38 AM
Having trained there for 4 years, I can tell you the matter first hand.
If you don't like it, don't train there for 4 years.

Just as you have a right to your beliefs, they have a right to their's. If you don't like how they do business, which they have a right to, you have the right to leave and find a place that matches what you want.

IMHO, people complain too much trying to get the world to be the way they personally think it should be.

Now get back to training, somewhere that you can focus on your training.

George S. Ledyard
03-18-2004, 12:45 PM
Brad,

You have arrived on this forum and taken on a role as someone who is quite authoritative about all sorts of stuff. If you can hold your own with the senior folks then fine. But you don't get to have it both ways. You are asking a question here that none of the senior folks would ask. They, and I think you, already know the answer. The post doesn't serve a purpose other than to make a case for you to feel righteous about some percieved mistreatment. As far as I can tell, you have already solved the problem by not being there any more.

Lynn is right, get over it and start training somewhere that you do like and that fits your personality... If you really feel the need to vent, go over to the e-budo site and contribute to the Bad Budo threads. You'll get all the participation you could want for this type of thing.

That said, from a training standpoint it doesn't do you any good to hang on to something and dwell on the negative. Figure out what yuu want to do and do it. Go forward without looking back.

vanstretch
03-23-2004, 01:30 PM
amen george,......AHHHHmen.