PDA

View Full Version : your favourite aikido technic?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

solidsteven
03-13-2004, 11:18 AM
mine would be irimi-nage

its fun to do and i think its the most alround technic.

whats yours?

thank you

Kensai
03-13-2004, 12:16 PM
Shiho-nage.... ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!

RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Janet Rosen
03-13-2004, 01:33 PM
the one the appears unbidden after I've moved.

ikkitosennomusha
03-13-2004, 03:08 PM
I like them all. I like what works in the situation I am in at that moment! Do not get attached to a particular technique because if you like it so much, subconsciencely it will be on your mind and you may try to pull that one off in a conflict instead of what needs to be done. So, it is ok to favor but don't let this cloud your mind!

Brad Medling

Gilles D'Hoker
03-13-2004, 04:04 PM
Suwari Waza - Ryote dori Kokyoho

Letting your partner get a real grip on ya. And then I 'try' get free without muscle power. That gives me real satisfaction, the essence of Aikido

ryujin
03-13-2004, 05:31 PM
.45 auto. Two to the body. One to the head.

:freaky:

p00kiethebear
03-13-2004, 06:44 PM
That one where sensei does something with his hands and i end up on my back some how :)

Doka
03-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Whatever happens!!! :)

Big satisfaction in an attack coming, attack met, attacker in pain, attacker crying, attacker running away, where's my pizza, ah, there it is!!! :)

True story!!! :D

:ai:

WylMorris
03-14-2004, 03:15 AM
I have a few.

My favouroite technique for all themyriad variations is kokyu ho.

My favourite one to do is Shiho Nage.

My favourite one to take Ukemi for is Kaitennage.

My favourite katemi waza is the shiho nage based one wherethey tap twice.

My fav. to watch is Aikiotosh (spelling?)

And to say: Hanmi-handaichi yokomenuchi shiho nage ura waza. Its quite the mouthfull, and i dont think I've ever done it....

Josh Bisker
03-14-2004, 05:14 AM
that one where suddenly i don't get hit with a stick

Bob H.
03-17-2004, 08:18 AM
I like kaitennage- and, a couple weeks ago I practiced something that resembles it called hiji otoshi.

However, I do realize that you need more than one technique. :-)

cbrf4zr2
03-17-2004, 10:36 AM
I like application and simplicity.

Sumi Otoshi or Ikkyo/Nikkyo/Sankyo/Yonko/Gokyo.

You can nearly ALWAYS perform one of those techniques regardless of attack.

A couple years ago I would have said Kaitenage (tenkan version). However I see no real life application for it. Fun to throw, but you need a cooperative uke. Who's going to throw Kaitenage in the street?

j0nharris
03-17-2004, 10:56 AM
Beer waza -- smooth motion using kokyu to lift the glass, then feeling the ki of the hops spreading through my center.

Caution! Overuse of this technique can make your center spread if repeated too often between workouts! :D

cbrf4zr2
03-17-2004, 12:33 PM
Beer waza -- smooth motion using kokyu to lift the glass, then feeling the ki of the hops spreading through my center.

Caution! Overuse of this technique can make your center spread if repeated too often between workouts! :D
WARNING: May also cause temporarily loss of center.

Kensai
03-17-2004, 01:27 PM
Kaiten nage seems fairly simple to use in the 'street'.

Grab head, force down, grab arm force up then force arm and head into a harmonous union = throw. :)

But Shiho-nage is still my fav throw.... although in randori the other day I seemed to use Kokyu-nage alot..... strange....

ikkitosennomusha
03-17-2004, 01:28 PM
I like application and simplicity.

Sumi Otoshi or Ikkyo/Nikkyo/Sankyo/Yonko/Gokyo.

You can nearly ALWAYS perform one of those techniques regardless of attack.

A couple years ago I would have said Kaitenage (tenkan version). However I see no real life application for it. Fun to throw, but you need a cooperative uke. Who's going to throw Kaitenage in the street?
Kaitenage is very applicable on the street. I once felt as yu do though. They my sensei taught it was not very applicable but I suppose it was the traditional way which most sensei feel obligated to teach.

I pondered this technique for a short bit realizing that every technique O-sensei come up with has to be applicable in some sort of way. So, I had an epiphany, modified the technique, and now, you would not believe how great that technique works! I tested it in class and quickly became very useful! Sensei wanted me to do it the traditonal way I guess for sake of maintaining his authority, but, thats ok. I was probably 4th kyu at that time.

Tell in detail regarding the technique itself, what do you feel is impractical and I might be able to help you. Also, all the other tecniques you listed about ikkyo, nikkyo, etc., I will sart a new thread for that entitled "From Ikkyo to Gokyo". Thanks.

Brad

cbrf4zr2
03-17-2004, 02:40 PM
Brad (and Chris)

The reason I don't feel it's a great street technique is for a couple reasons. Say I'm grabbed by the wrist by Joe Street, well if I take the 'traditional' route and cut my hand under his and outwards he's most likely going to let go. And forget about a tenkan version of it, all I've done is put Joe Street behind me when he lets go of my wrist. So, now I'm left with re-grabbing my attacker. Personally, I don't want to 'initiate.' If I do initiate and move in to grab his head/neck, he's most likely to lean back away from me. At this point, iriminage seems like the best thing, or sumi otoshi. (At least to me it does.)

Since I'm looking at applications (I worked as a bouncer for part of a summer) where I can control the situation, a throw really isn't in my best interest. Ikkyo -> Gokyo provide me with a very nice pin, (non traditional pins) and sumi otoshi provides me with a superior position where I can roll Joe Street over and pin him until help arrives.

Now - if I'm really in the street, and not indoors, I'll use a quick atemi, irimi to the throat, and rely on my 4.6 40 speed to get me out of there. :D