PDA

View Full Version : dissimilar weapons practice

Please visit our sponsor:

Paula Lydon
03-06-2004, 07:54 AM
~~Hi All! Was just wondering if anyone out there practices with dissimilar weapons, either prearranged or free. You know, bokken vs jo, jo vs bo, bo vs tanto (that's a fun one!). That sort of thing. :D

p00kiethebear
03-06-2004, 03:21 PM
we've done a few jo versus bokken techniques.

One we did was an iriminage variation (20 year throw) where you hook a shomen strike with the bokken, irimi to get behind them and put them off balance then cut kiriage (upwards for all you non sword people) into their neck.

As I recall we had alot of fun with it, and surprisingly, no one got knocked in the face :D

Largo
03-09-2004, 11:50 PM
I once helped one of our nidans get ready for an embukai (demonstration). It was bokken against tessen (war fan). It was a lot of fun.

Buddy Iafrate
03-10-2004, 06:52 AM
We frequently do mixed buki exercises. Jo/tanto Jo/bokken are some of my favorites because the sense of distance is so exagerated in those combinations.

We probably mix it up this way 3-4 times per month of normal training.

L. Camejo
03-10-2004, 09:28 AM
~~Hi All! Was just wondering if anyone out there practices with dissimilar weapons, either prearranged or free. You know, bokken vs jo, jo vs bo, bo vs tanto (that's a fun one!). That sort of thing. :D
Fun stuff Paula.

Actually I've been developing a weapons demo with some mixed weapon stuff.

Goes along the lines of first uke attacks with tanto, tori does kotegaeshi and keeps tanto. Next uke attacks with bokken, tori uses tanto to aid in guiding the bokken and uke into aigamae ate (irimi nage throw or neck slice depending on audience :)) where tori then has both bokken and tanto. The third uke attacks (tsuki) with jo and gets a feel for what a combined tanto/bokken response feels like as the jo glances off the tanto, making space for a shomen uchi with the bokken. In the end of the sequence we have Tori with a collection of weapons and a pile of 3 Ukes on the floor.:)

Just thought I'd share.

L.C.:ai::ki:

jxa127
03-11-2004, 07:24 AM
Paula,

Jo versus bokken is one of the three standard sets of kata we practice. The other two are jo versus jo, and bokken versus bokken.

We're thinking of adding jo versus the volcano. (just kidding)

Occasionally, just for curiosity's sake, we've done some free practice. Normally, though, we focus on the kata.

Regards,

Mark Uttech
03-13-2004, 03:31 PM
weapons training is a constant at Marshall dojo, bokken/jo, jo/jo, bokken/bokken. It makes for good training of natural body movement and the empty hands takes on a new dimension then.

Zoli Elo
06-05-2004, 06:54 PM
I have done a bit of isshu jiai regularly for the last few months. Really quite fun in that the naginata provides a huge range to deal with.