PDA

View Full Version : meaning of Ki Society ki rank names

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches

MaryKaye
02-22-2004, 10:55 PM
Ki Society calls the kyu ranks in Ki Development shokyu, chukyu, jokyu, and then the dan ranks shoden, chuden, joden, keiden, okuden.

What do these words mean?

Thanks,
Mary Kaye

Bronson
02-27-2004, 12:46 AM
I'm not a Japanese speaker or reader, the only thing I know is what little dojo Japanese I've picked up but I think I might be able to get you close. If anybody with more knowledge than me says differently go with that :D
shokyu, chukyu, jokyu
I believe this translates to something like beginning grade, middle grade, and high grade, respectively
and then the dan ranks shoden, chuden, joden, keiden, okuden.
Without the kanji (which I don't read) it's difficult to know the meanings exaclty. In Dave Lowry's book Sword and Brush he lists the meaning (for martial artists...if you check a kanji site there are many meanings) for den as "transmitting tradition".

The sho, chu, and jo meanings would probably stay the same as above.

The only reference I can find sitting around my apartment for kei is also from Sword and Brush. It may be the same or not. He has it listed as part of a compound word, keiko, the kei part in this instance means "to cogitate, to think, or to consider.

Lowry writes that okuden is translated as "hidden teachings".

There's a good chance I've gotten that all wrong...best check with your sensei.

Bronson

Tom Wolowiec
03-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Let's see... I *believe* elementary school is shyukoku, and middle school is chyukoku, and I know ookii means big, so I think Bronson's right, and it means "low, medium, high", etc.

I might be totally off, though. :(