PDA

View Full Version : wobbly strike

Please visit our sponsor:

Paula Lydon
02-10-2004, 07:28 AM
~~I was told the other day that my shomen strike with bokken has a bit of a repeated list in its' arc, scoops out a little near the beginning and then comes back on line. If I stand before a mirror, move slowly and really concentrate I can cut on a correct line. The moment I move faster there's that slight wobble--which doesn't seem to affect the outcome of the cut.
~~Problem: I don't feel this wobble in my body so when I'm not looking in a mirror I can't figure out how to correct it. Sound familiar to anyone? How did you handle it? Thanks! :D

SeiserL
02-10-2004, 10:14 AM
IMHO, relax and go slow. Watch your alignment and form. The wobble may come from a slight change of grip or posture during the strike. Pay attention to the subtleties.

Keep your awareness on the path of the strike. Visualize the arch. Use it as meditation.

Practice many cuts per day.

It will come. Be patient. It takes longer to progress when we hurry.

Jamie Stokes
02-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Lydon-san,

I agree with Seiser-san.

Slow down, and practice with full attention.

If you can lay your hands on a video recorder and record yourself doing the strike from a variety of angles, both quick and slow.

Wear clothes that don't hide how your body moves ie t-shirt and shorts.

The idea is that you can then play back to see if your body tenses up or moves differently when moving quick or slow.

If there is a slight dip, it may come from adjusting a grip unconsciously during a strike, with the muscles in your shoulder adjusting slightly to compensate. (plain simple bio-mechanics, which is actually frightfully complicated)

Or a shift in balance or on and on and on....

If the video idea is no good, try the same with an instructor either watching how your body moves, or one of the other students.

Another thread on here (perhaps an essay) alludes to the fact that Bokken and Jo work can act as magnifiers, so that what is subtle and small, becomes detectable when done large.

Now if you studied Iaido, which can be very precise, thats a different story, which I am not qualified to answer.

Warmest regards,

Jamie:)

Bronson
02-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Are you doing too much with your right hand? I find I get something similar if I'm pushing with my right hand instead of pulling with my left.

Bronson