PDA

View Full Version : new member as well as new Aikido student

Please visit our sponsor:

judd h.
02-09-2004, 12:19 PM
hey everyone, I'm glad I found a good forum with plenty of members to talk to about Aikido and various other things. I started Aikido about 4 1/2 weeks ago and cannot describe how much i enjoy it! My girlfriend started at the same time I did, she should be posting on here too eventually.

I have no previous "formal" training in martial arts, but studied on my own with jeet kun do, tae kwon do and your basic "fighting" arts for about 4 years on and off, and I did feel like i gained a good amount of skill, or better yet, kicking and punching ability... but after reading about Morihei Ueshiba and his life, I realized that deep down inside I would never want to have to say that I ruptured someones organs because of MY kick or punch. So I became really interested in Aikido. So after years of not having time to take classes I finally went and signed up. The first night i was so nervous because of all the anticipation I had built up over the years. So far I have realized that when learning on your own you do infact build a good unique "style" about you, but that is really only good with basic kicks and punches, nothing else really. The thing about aikido is that you basically have to have a teacher, due to the holds and breakfalls and well, everything really. I just dont think someone with no background in an art that resembles Aikido would be able to pick it up on their own. I'm sure you all realize the depth you could go into with that.

Anyways, i look forward to talking to everyone on here and hope there are many many conversations to come!

justin hooker

akiy
02-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Hi Justin,

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to the AikiWeb Forums!

-- Jun