PDA

View Full Version : newbie

Please visit our sponsor:

Rachael
02-03-2004, 11:27 AM
Hi

I'm new to this website & forum (and fairly new to Aikido too!), so I thought I'd introduce myself and say hello. :)

I'm 24 and live in what feels like the rainiest place on Earth - England.

I'm a 1st dan in Shotokan karate and I started Aikido because I wanted something that would complement my karate training. I a real fan of Aikido, although it was really difficult at first (hmm...still is) as it is so different to karate. So far I've managed to not mix the two up and put a kotegaeshi (or other Aikido technique) on my karate sensei by mistake!

I love learning about Martial Arts in general, and karate & Aikido specifically, so if anyone can recommend any good martial arts books then that would be great!

In my 'spare' time away from the dojo I also like horseriding, reading and music. Oh yeah, I also find time to work in a Primary school as a teaching assistant and go to university part time!

Erm... I don't know what else to put now.
Thanks for reading my long post. :D

akiy
02-03-2004, 12:16 PM
Hi Rachael,

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to the AikiWeb Forums! I'm glad it looks like you got your login problems sorted out...

-- Jun

Greg Jennings
02-03-2004, 01:00 PM
Hi Rachel,

Welcome to aikido and AikiWeb.

Best regards,

Nick Simpson
02-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Hi Rachael, Some books I really like are Angry White Pyjama's (dont lynch me Yoshinkan folks) by robert twigger, total aikido by gozo shioda, budo: teachings of the founder by morihei ueshiba (cant remember if I got that title right but im tired :p ), hope you enjoy Aikiweb.

William Boyd
02-03-2004, 05:37 PM
Hi Rachael,:) Nice to meet you! Welcome to the world of aikido.

PeterR
02-03-2004, 05:50 PM
You'll find that as you progress there will be a merging of your Shotokan karate and your Aikido.

One of my teachers here in Japan has advanced rank in both. He says beyond sandan Shotokan becomes softer and Aikido harder - his words. My Aikido is becoming softer - it always was too hard.

Lan Powers
02-03-2004, 09:01 PM
Hi Rachael,

Love your quote!

Welcome "home" :-)

Lan

stuartjvnorton
02-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Hi Rachael, Some books I really like are Angry White Pyjama's (dont lynch me Yoshinkan folks) by robert twigger, total aikido by gozo shioda, budo: teachings of the founder by morihei ueshiba (cant remember if I got that title right but im tired :p ), hope you enjoy Aikiweb.
Hi Rachael from another newbie. :-)

As a Yoshinkan'er, I liked it too.

It's a good work of fiction: very entertaining.

It's funny, 'cos I train with a guy who went through that year's Senshusei course with him. He didn't think much of Twigger's Aikido skills... ;-)

Another good Yosh book is Aikido Shugyo, by Gozo Shioda. Lots of insights & some pretty good stories of strife & mayhem as well.

sanosuke
02-03-2004, 11:48 PM
....may the ki be with you....happy training

Nick Simpson
02-04-2004, 08:18 AM
Hey Stuart, yeah, i dont place any faith that it is an accurate representation of what happened that year on the course but it is as you said very entertaining and did actually encourage me to start aikido even though it gives a pretty negative outlook. If I ever get uninspired I pick it up and read a few pages, seems to work for some reason.

Rachael
02-04-2004, 10:48 AM
Hi Rachael, Some books I really like are Angry White Pyjama's (dont lynch me Yoshinkan folks) by robert twigger,
I have that book. Actually, I bought it before I started training in Aikido. I'd really recommend it to all martial artists. I especially loved the description of one guy who started banging his head against the floor after a long session spent in seiza. I truly sympathise with him. Thanks to an old horse riding injury to my knee I can't spend a long time sat in seiza (at least, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!! :D) and I've often felt like bashing my head against the floor too.

Thanks everyone for your welcomes!!