PDA

View Full Version : Hanwei Musashi katana repro.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

vanstretch
01-18-2004, 07:59 PM
Hello, anyone out there in katana-land know if the reproduction of Miyamoto Musashi's Katana is a live blade? you can find photos of the katana in several webstores and the tsubi,grip,overall shape look very good, but ads don't specify if blade is dull or sharp. Please advise if anyone knows and/or owns one. thankx.

Bronson
01-19-2004, 01:41 AM
The one I saw had a live blade. I don't think I've seen a Paul Chen sword that didn't have one.

Bronson

vanstretch
01-19-2004, 07:45 AM
yeah it looks awesome,but like hungry-man dinners-sometimes the box looks better than the tray.

Bronson
01-19-2004, 01:05 PM
To be honest, I didn't like it. It's way too big for my taste. The tsuka is HUGE. I also wasn't a fan of the the leather tsuka ito. I find leather on something that's going to get soaked with sweat to be a pain in the butt in the care/maintenance dept.

I have a Paul Chen Practical Plus katana. The tsuka is a little longer than standard (which I like), but not twice as long like the Musashi. The blade is by no means a master work of swordsmanship but it's straight, sharp, and structurally sound. The tsuka leaves a little to be desired as it is straight without any of the "waisting" you see on other katana. Overall I really have no complaints considering what I paid for it. It's not meant to be a master work piece but a functionl, reasonbly priced sword which is exactly what it is.

Before you dump a buch of money on a Musashi try to go someplace where you could handle one.

Bronson

vanstretch
01-19-2004, 03:08 PM
bronson,whats your height/wt? is the musashi a live blade too/how sharp if so? I am drawn to it due to its resemblance to the historical drawings and I am larger so the grip is appealing-thats all I know at this point.

Bronson
01-19-2004, 11:17 PM
is the musashi a live blade too/how sharp if so?
Yes it is, someone used one at our iaido class' last tameshigiri session. No idea how sharp it is, I didn't touch the edge. It was sharp enough to go through tatami omote, of course so was the $30 stainless cheapy from Bud K (http://www.budkww.com/partsview.asp?action=lookup&partno=BK277&subject=H&catpos=99999) just not as cleanly.

I'm about 5' 9 1/2" and near 230. I'm definitely what you'd call "chunky" :D

A search on Ebay reveals that the handle on the Musashi is 14 3/4" long. Following the standard of handle=1/3 blade length it puts the Musashi as having over 4" "extra" handle.

Looking at the website for Bugei Trading Co (http://bugei.com/subcategory_6.htm). it seems their katana are sporting handles around 4" over standard also.

If it's something you like and you've got the cash go for it...though I'd still recommend actually handling one first.

Bronson

vanstretch
01-20-2004, 06:10 AM
cool thanks.

thomas_dixon
09-08-2004, 08:14 AM
Actually depending on the school standard has different meanings. If you look at the Musashi katana you'll notice the blade is 29 1/2 inches long. 1/2 of that blade would be 14.75 inches, or ot round it off 15 inches, therefore the Tsuka is 1/3 of the whole katana. If you look around Bugei Trading Co. forums you can see poor reviews of the musashi katana, so I'd rather go to bugei and get their Samurai Katana with 15" handle and 29 1/2 inch blade and get a Musashi gaurd.

Nick Simpson
09-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Im curious as to its resemblance to musashis's sword, the Tsuba is completely different to the one tha Musashi used on his daisho, plus his sword was no where near as long as this one. Its a nice sword in its own right, and Paul chen makes very nice swords for a nice price, but I don think its bears any resemblance to Musashi's sword at all, its more like it pays homage to him.

thomas_dixon
09-11-2004, 07:52 PM
What were the demensions of musashi's sword?

rschoele
09-12-2004, 02:36 PM
hi,

I studied muso jikiden iaido and trained and tested with canadian kendo federation at the japanese cultural center in toronto for a couple years. I'm no expert by any means and can offer only this novice thought.

I noticed that they don't list who or what company makes the sword. At a price of $547 regular $740 - I would check into this sword before using it as a "live" blade. It may be a steel sharpened iaito that can be used for cutting, but generally a unpolished shinken blade from chinese steel is about $2000 (without tsuka, fittings, etc) and steel iaito around $1200. A respectable company for shinken and iaito is http://www.nosyuiaido.com/

So I would have one of those "sword guy" sensei look at it before doing anything with it other than decorative or injury could result.

The longer tsuka was something that has come into "fashion" of late (well within the last 5 or 6 years) generallly you have a sword made to your height, so buying a store bought like that, you might find it difficult to use. but not impossible.

that canadian folk and the sensei from Japan didn't think much of Bugei - they considered the swords very unbalanced and poorly made, but then again I was just a "foreigner" from across the border in new york and it may have been an issue of pride. ; )

ryan

Nick Simpson
09-12-2004, 04:47 PM
I dont know the dimensions Thomas, But I do have a picture of the blade without its fittings and it is much smaller than this 'reproduction' and definately would have had a smaller Tsuka (musashi would have been a smallish guy, little hands I imagine?). Ive also got a photograph of the Tsuba that he wore on the blade (it's also pictured in some versions of the book of five rings). I'll try and scan them and upload them or something when I get sorted out with a scanner :)

thomas_dixon
09-12-2004, 07:41 PM
Thanks man..I actually read that Musashi was taller than average japanese...

And also thanks for the site, it's really nice, and they got great variety..btw

How in your oinions do you measure for a katana?

I've heard from, your hand which would be down at your side, to your foot for the blade, then your elbow to wrist for the tsuka, from elbow ot the end of your hand for tsuka, 1/3 of the blade for tsuka, 1/3 of the sword for tsuka and countless others...I just figured i'd get your opinions while we're on the subject heh

rschoele
09-12-2004, 08:17 PM
I've heard from, your hand which would be down at your side, to your foot for the blade, then your elbow to wrist for the tsuka, from elbow ot the end of your hand for tsuka, 1/3 of the blade for tsuka, 1/3 of the sword for tsuka and countless others...I just figured i'd get your opinions while we're on the subject heh

hi thomas,

what you wrote is about right. I bought my Iaito from the sight I posted earlier and my sensei figured the measurements for me. Basically when I hold the sword relaxed at my side the point (kissaki) is about 1" from the floor, the tsuka is about elbow to wrist on me but that was factory, not custom ordered. I'm just recounting what I was told as a beginner, but basically the tsuka is a comfort thing. The recommendation was to buy a nice entry level Iaito, train and eventually as your more experienced you'll learn what kind of custom sword you would like. Some order blades longer than the above way of measuring just based on how they draw, and some find a longer tsuka helpful with their two handed cuts, etc

best,

ryan

thomas_dixon
09-13-2004, 05:08 PM
Yeah I'm heavily looking into getting into Iaido, Iaijustu, Battojutsu and/or Kenjutsu and just gathering the info :)

Nick Simpson
09-13-2004, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I vaguely remember reading he was taller than average but I dont imagine he could be too tall, diet and all the other factors that dictate height etc etc.

thomas_dixon
09-14-2004, 09:29 AM
I'd think that if he did have a sword as big as the repro, he'd be about 5' 11"...and thats 5 inches taller than the average of that time, so maybe he was 5' 9" or so....