View Full Version : transferring

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

josh rhodes
01-17-2004, 04:30 PM
Well to start I really didn't know where to actual put this thread but this is the closest. Aikido is my first martial arts and I was wondering when you have to attend a differant dojo does your rank still stay. See after I finish my basics at junior college I am goin to start at a 4 year(East Texas Baptist University) college, well they have a dojo out there but I won't be close enough to go to the one I am attending right now, so I will have to transfer.(not for another 2 1/2 years)

sorry if the post sounds stupid I was just wondering.

Yann Golanski
01-19-2004, 02:57 AM
Depends on your sensei. However, generally each association will not recognise any grade from a different association.

When I cross train, I always ask sensei if I should wear a white belt or my black one plus hakama.

01-19-2004, 03:00 AM
We always recognise peoples grades.

At kyu grade level its not an issue at Yudansha level people generally retake shodan in order to gain Hombu recognition.

01-19-2004, 03:45 PM
Most of the groups around here will recognize your rank but they want to watch you for a while first to make sure you are legit. Sometimes it just means you have to wait longer for your next test.