PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Dojo Items

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Sid
12-30-2000, 12:05 PM
Today, during class i managed to puncture my Sensei's mat(tatami) with my bokken. I felt really bad and I offered to replace it. I take it that
the onus IS on me to replace it?

Anyone ever done something like this?

Sid

Matt Banks
12-30-2000, 01:52 PM
Yep and this is probably one of my funniest aiki stories. I was doing a jiu waza in a demonstration in England. I came in with tanto at a sandan and to cut a long story short he did a hijate on me sending me flying, there was a barrier around the mat to stop spectators getting to close. The barrier was made up of 4 poles around the mat connected by rope. I went crashing into one of the poles sending the whole barrier flying and taking out the shomen stand. Regaining consiousness I got up bowed before I got on the mat again. Sensei called matee. I sat in seiza worried about what would happen. Sensei said Matthew san

''hai''
''You forgot to bow as you left the mat''
The crowd roared with laughter and gave me a standing ovation. Luckily nothing was broken.

Matt Banks

aikilouis
12-30-2000, 03:34 PM
Threads are starting to florish about dojo misconduct (see "late for class" thread). What about farting during waza ? And practicing with a fingerpicking guitarist and his long nails ?

LR Joseph

DiNalt
12-30-2000, 08:44 PM
aikilouis wrote:
Threads are starting to florish about dojo misconduct (see "late for class" thread). What about farting during waza ? And practicing with a fingerpicking guitarist and his long nails ?

LR Joseph

I think long nails are dangerous and I would do everything to avoid being a uke or a nage with such a person.

Aikidoka2000
01-02-2001, 12:44 PM
aikilouis wrote:

LR Joseph
Ok, this is just silly.
I won't even dignify this with a reply..Oh wait..I just did..DOH~! :D
Ok, let's go back to basics here folks,
Make sure you have a clean uniform, and are free from B.O. (that's just ATARIMAE!)
Don't break wind if at all possible. Hint: Don't load up on chili and then come to class.
and nails? Cut 'em if you want to practice, at least, with me as your Uke.
-Tomu

P.s. With respect to the issue of accidentally breaking dojo equipment, I would
say it depends largely on the issue, but generally, I firmly believe in "You break it,
You buy it."

[Edited by Aikidoka2000 on January 2, 2001 at 11:47am]

BC
01-04-2001, 02:32 PM
Last year, shortly after our dojo moved into its current "temporary" location, someone was accidently thrown into the clean fresh drywall on the side of the mat. The end result was a big round dent in the wall where one cheek of their backside had impacted it! And no, I don't know with what technique or how it happened. The dent stayed there for almost a year before one of the students (not the actual culprit) with some experience in drywalling repaired it. I was almost sad to see it go, because almost every time I looked at it I simultaneously smiled and was reminded to be aware of what's around me during practice.