View Full Version : Aikido in NJ

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

John Malin
12-01-2003, 08:54 PM
I was wondering if anybody practices in NJ. I am looking at two different schools at the moment. I'd love to hear some positive input from anyone.

Chris Raywood
12-01-2003, 09:01 PM

I'd like to help you out (in that I do currently train in New Jersey), but without more on the information you're looking for, it is difficult to comment.

John Malin
12-01-2003, 10:10 PM
I didn't want to start a school vs school thread so I kept it vague. One I am looking at is in Roselle Park, the other is in Morristown. I have visited both and enjoyed each class. I was just hoping to hear some positive experiences.

12-02-2003, 11:05 AM
Morristown is part of Aikido Centers of NJ they have 5 schools. By paying dues to one you may participate with all. http://www.aikidocenters.com/ Hoboken (the 5th school)isn't listed but they practice Mon and Wed there site is here www.hobokenaikido.com and are a part of these schools. Hope these links help.

Also, Morristown is holding a seminar this weekend, great opportunity to meet a bunch of people and really get a feel for their way ;)

Ron Tisdale
12-02-2003, 01:23 PM
I've been to the main locations of both of these groups, trained in one, and was uke for a demonstration in the other. I think that they are both great places to train, and I'm not sure how I would choose between them based on what I know now.

If I had to make a decision, I would first spend about a month at each school, training in as many classes as possible, and then stay with the one that seemed to either need my contribution the most, or the one that seemed to give me the most. I'd also look at the distance to training each day, as that could affect my attendance.

In the end, I think only you can make a decision like this, and it will probably be based on intangibles.

12-02-2003, 05:01 PM
I have trained with Sensei O'Connor for 8 yrs going on 9 yrs soon. If you are training in NJ, then Morristown is the place to train. The mat is huge and very forgiving. The students all train with good hearts and energy. I highly recommend our dojo.

But do the homework and legwork and find out for yourself. There are plenty of solid teachers in NJ. If you have the time, try to get to NY Aikikai as well.

Good Luck

12-03-2003, 01:31 PM

I beleive both Ron and Jamie have valid points. If you live and/or work close to both, it would probably be in your best interest to try out one for one month and then then other and make your decision based on the one that fitted your needs. Distance, especially in NJ, is a factor.

There are many dojos in NJ, but since you did not state what part of Jersey you would be commuting from/to, it's hard to offer more.

I have trained at both dojos and also at NY Aikikai, but it's up to what you're looking for in a dojo to make your decision.

Are you new to Aikido or just moved into the area?

John Malin
12-03-2003, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

I am new to Aikido. I have studied martial arts on and off for about three years. I have just spent a year training in Ba Gua. I think school schedule may have to dictate my decision. I'm glad to hear positive remarks about both Dojos.