PDA

View Full Version : Question: Types of Stick Fighting?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

JeffBayard
11-24-2003, 03:27 PM
Out of curiosity, what's the form(s) of stick fighting where the person is using two relatively short sticks or battons. I've seen it in the movies (incredible Jet Li scene in Kiss of the Dragon, a few Seagal movies, Jackie Chan I think...) and had always wondered, "What in the world is that?" Looks almost like that form of juggling that involves whirling around (but keeping in hands, not tossing) what looks like large bowling pins. (chuckling!)

fvhale
11-24-2003, 03:46 PM
Hello,

Perhaps you are asking about nunchaku?

That is one of the kobudo, or old weapons, popular in karate. Fumio Demura Sensei has put out some book and video on it. It seems to be popular throughout Southeast Asia, including Southern China.

A fun website dedicated to nunchaku can be found at http://members.tripod.com/~Nunchaku/ by a young fellow you really like nunchaku!

I know a karate sensei that know nunchaku kata, and can teach them, but he usually doesn't do it because students tend to whack themselves in the head too much while learning it. ouch!

Clayton Drescher
11-24-2003, 03:50 PM
Possibly Kali sticks? That's the extent of my knowledge on the subject;)

Sharon Seymour
11-24-2003, 03:58 PM
Likely to be Arnis, a Filipino art. Found lots of sites doing a Google search, including a book available via Amazon.com

aikidoc
11-24-2003, 04:30 PM
Kali, arnis or escrima sticks (Filipino stick fighting arts) are likely what you are talking about. Seagal used them in the knee scene in the pool room in one of his movies. It was a very basic movement pattern-probably taught to him by Inosanto whom I believe was in the movie.

ranZ
11-25-2003, 07:37 AM
in Kiss of the Dragon -the police training scene- that would be tonfa http://kobudo.okinawa.free.fr/weapons/tonfa/

JeffBayard
11-25-2003, 08:29 AM
I don't think it's nunchaku, if I'm correct in thinking that's the weapon with two sticks connected by some sort of rope or chain, using one such weapon in each hand (probably popularized to the general public by the Ninja Turtles movies...). That actually never really grabbed my interest, even as a kid. Not that I mean anything negative towards it and the practice, it's not that I'm dismissing its value and the skills involved. It's just not for me.

So far as the Seagal movie scenes (that pool hall scene that was referred to, and the extremely brief scene in... Hard to Kill, was it?), perhaps it was the use of Kali as suggested.

Yes!, the Jet Li scene was using Tonfa. I was wondering what the particular style of technique would be closest associated with (there appears to be many different subdivisions under the umbrella terms of "Wushu" and "Kung Fu").

Stick fighting (long ones, short ones, even... how did that jingle go again?) seems to be wide and varied, both in the size and nature of the weapons and in the manner in which they're handled. Some seem to involve a sort of perpetual swirl of motions from which to move from, and others seem to move from stillness. Some twirl 'em, some hold and swing 'em. Etc., etc.

I'll have to dig a bit into the Filipino arts, and Kali and the Tonfa. I'm not so sure it's something I'd take a genuine interest in pursuing, but it does seem interesting, can be fun to watch.

Thanks for the contributions in knowledge, ideas, and links being provided here on this topic, I appreciate it!

SeiserL
11-25-2003, 10:42 PM
Sticks approx. 20" long?

Yep, that would be Fillipino Martial Arts of Kali, Escrima, or Arnis.

Great stuff. Compliments well with Aikido as its counter opposite.

JeffBayard
12-17-2003, 06:37 PM
I had done some digging concerning Chinese martial arts involving different forms of stick fighting. Came up with a slew of things, wrote them down, meant to come back and share it (hopefully maybe getting some further clarifying replies as well), became extremely busy, and lost where I'd written all that down. Maybe some other time I'll have a go at it again.... The different systems of Chinese martial arts appear complicated in their diversity, and sometimes consequently difficult to get a hold of when it comes to researching.

Those Fillipino arts mentioned seem like good leads as well. Thanks again!