PDA

View Full Version : Aikido Basics Bokk Signing at Westminster Aikikai

Please visit our sponsor:

SeiserL
11-24-2003, 12:22 PM
Sensei Dang Thong Phong of the International Tenshinkai Aikido Federation, and the Westminster Aikikai Dojo, cordially invites everyone to a book signing introducing Aikido Basics by Tuttle Publishing.

The book, Aikido Basics, is as the title suggest, and introduction to Aikido. It covers (1) the history of Aikido, (2) the philosophy of Aikido, (3) the different branches of Aikido, (4) choosing the right school, (5) clothing and equipment, (6) your first class, (7) safety, (8) basic principles, (9) stances and footwork, (10) strikes, (11) grabs, (12) throwing techniques, (13) locking and pinning techniques, (14) Ki development, (15) randori and jiyu-waza, (16) warming up, (17) how to participate in a workout, (18) mental training, (19) self-defense, (20) setting a goal and a training program, (21) testing and belt promotion, and (22) demonstrations. All in 189 pages with 50 photographs, for the price of $12.95.

The book signing will be at the Westminster Aikikai Dojo (8562 Westminster Blvd. Westminster, CA 92683 714-894-1003) on Saturday December 6th, 2003 at 2:00 pm.

Your presence will be a great honor and encouragement for all members of the Tenshinkai Aikido Federation.

Bronson
12-17-2003, 11:30 PM
I was perusing the martial arts section at Barnes & Noble today when I ran across a familiar name on the book binding. I figured there couldn't be too many Dang/Seiser combinations out there so using my amazing powers of deduction I figured it was the book you had posted about. I picked it up but haven't had a chance to look through it yet.

Bronson

SeiserL
12-18-2003, 10:53 PM
I picked it up but haven't had a chance to look through it yet. Bronson
So, at least we made it all the way to Michigan. Which is good news since I was born and raised in Pontiac.

I look forward to hearing what you think of the book.

We have already found a few errors to correct in the second printing.

Bronson
12-19-2003, 02:29 AM
Started reading it tonight at Denny's after class.

It seems to be set up (so far) for new or soon to be new students. Beginners books are actually some of my favorites and as one it seems to fill the bill nicely so far. It gives a good amount of info without burdening with too much and always makes the point to follow the local tradition as it will probably be a variant of what was written. Not very far into it right now but I'll let you know after I get it done.

Hey, when I'm done can I send it to you and have it signed?;)

Bronson

p.s. I new I would like it almost immediately when Rod Kobayashi Sensei and Seidokan were mentioned in the section talking about different branches. It was nice to see our name in there...it doesn't happen too often :)

SeiserL
12-19-2003, 12:34 PM
Hey, when I'm done can I send it to you and have it signed?;) Bronson
It would be an honor to sign it. I will take it in and have Phong Sensei sign too.

Yep, its a basic beginner's book. It follows the format for the other "basic" books by Tuttle. Glad you noted that we tried to point out that each style/sensei/dojo may be different. Its a general book.

We tried to include many styles, though we accept we could not mention (or even know) all of them. As stated, we meant no harm.

They are currently considering our next two outlines.

Ron Tisdale
12-19-2003, 01:12 PM
Congrats! I'll have to pick up a copy...

Ron