PDA

View Full Version : Rugby is GOOD!!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Jim ashby
11-22-2003, 09:07 AM
ALL TOGETHER NOW!!!!!
Swing low, sweet chariot
coming for to carry me home
swing low, sweet chariot
coming for to carry me home.
Apologies to the Aussies out there.....a bit:D

Amassus
11-23-2003, 05:52 PM
Goddamn English.

"Stay calm, stay calm, stay calm...."

Time to find my centre.

Adrian Smith
11-23-2003, 09:18 PM
No, rugby is BAD. I'm still recovering from playing three weeks ago. I played one match and broke three ribs, making ukemi a little difficult... :)

-drin

ranZ
11-23-2003, 11:35 PM
ouch...!

and my friend & i were just discussing how american football is more unsafe than rugby.

deepsoup
11-23-2003, 11:45 PM
Goddamn English.
Aw, give us a break Dean.

We've been waiting to win something since 1966 for crying out loud. Its about time! :)

Altogether now (in honour of the brave runners up)!:
Waltzing Matilda
Waltzing Matilda
You'll come a waltzing Matilda with me...

Sean

x

Alfonso
11-24-2003, 02:00 PM
what's unsafe is american footballers trying rugby out..

no, charging someone with your collarbone is not a good idea!

no, charging someone with your head is not a good idea

tackle low please

pass the f*** ball dammit!

and finally, no those bulges are not padding and armor, them folks are really really big..

Jim ashby
11-25-2003, 03:28 AM
I played the game not very seriously until it started to take too long to get over the injuries. Broken nose, collarbone, fingers (various) etc. etc. As a short legged thick-necked ex-schoolboy powerlifter I was the hooker (tht's the guy in the middle of the front row in the scrum, not the same thing as in the US!!). Damn, I miss being punched, kicked, stamped, butted and bitten (NOT!!!)but, it's the second most fun you can have with your clothes on!!

I hope that the rest of the world that have no history in rugby start to play more so that maybe we'll see the US and Japan in the later stages of competition.

PS Jonny Wilkinson is God.

paw
11-25-2003, 08:10 AM
I hope that the rest of the world that have no history in rugby start to play more so that maybe we'll see the US and Japan in the later stages of competition.

Nothing "wrong" with rugby --- it's a fine game. Just hasn't caught on in the US and I doubt it will. Despite the best efforts of thousands of people, men's football (soccer) hasn't made it big in the US either.

Money attracts the best athletes, and in the US, that would be baseball (horrid game, imo), football (college, NFL), basketball and hockey --- at least as team sports for men go in these United States.

Regards,

Paul

Bronson
11-25-2003, 11:56 AM
that would be baseball (horrid game, imo
I once heard baseball described as "3 minutes of action jam-packed into 3 hours".

IMO most professional team sports could be seriously improved if the players could carry swords and/or clubs and used them repeatedly on each other. If these people are going to make millions of dollars to play a game I want at least one hospitalizing injury per game. I want dismemberments and heads flying into the stands. I want to see the winning team pour whiskey into the skulls of the vanquished and drink it from the losers noses ;)

Bronson

Nick Simpson
11-25-2003, 12:24 PM
*Drools*

Now I would definately pay for the sports channels If they showed games like that...

deepsoup
11-26-2003, 10:42 AM
IMO most professional team sports could be seriously improved if the players could carry swords and/or clubs and used them repeatedly on each other.
Sounds like ice hockey.

Ever hear the story about the man who went to see a fight and a hockey game broke out?

:)

Adrian Smith
12-02-2003, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE="Alfonso Adriasola (Alfonso)"]what's unsafe is american footballers trying rugby out..

I'm not sure who you're talking about Alfonso. Not me, for sure. I'm Scottish by birth, and hold Canadian citizenship since I lived there for 21 years...

-Adrian

Alfonso
12-03-2003, 11:45 AM
.. i coached the rugby team at college in upstate NY for a couple of years.

I saw more self inflicted injuries (ok with a little help) based on an sort of ingrained reliance on body armor than anything else that happened on the field

i don't know why I always felt the guys who came off season from football to get some free beer came off as a tad naive.. and waking up usually involved fracture

Adrian Smith
12-03-2003, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE="Alfonso Adriasola (Alfonso)"]what's unsafe is american footballers trying rugby out..

I'm not sure who you're talking about Alfonso. Not me, for sure. I'm Scottish by birth, and hold Canadian citizenship since I lived there for 21 years...

-Adrian
Oops. Sorry folks, forgot my closing bracket...

-Adrian

Adrian Smith
12-03-2003, 01:02 PM
.. i coached the rugby team at college in upstate NY for a couple of years.

<LOL> Got it. Thanks for clarifying!

-Adrian

Taliesin
12-11-2003, 08:09 AM
Rugby is a great game. I'm sure we all wish to congratu;ate the England team on winning a world cup (with teams from around the world!!). I'm just congratulating them through gritted teeth.

Even so Rugby is the greatest team sport in the world. Skill, committment, a position for everybody no matter what size or build, if they have the heart to play the game.

It's just a shame that people want to drag it down to the level of American Football by letting them wear pads.

Bronson
12-12-2003, 03:16 AM
It's just a shame that people want to drag it down to the level of American Football by letting them wear pads.
I think they should play in loincloths and spiked gauntlets....with their heads on fire.

Bronson

Jim ashby
12-12-2003, 03:38 AM
There is an interesting discussion/argument going the rounds of pubs/clubs etc that rugby is a "toffs" game. IMO this has been started by those with a vested interest in football (you know, the game with 22 overpaid primadonna professional cheats and a bribed blind man in black) who are terrified that people will go to rugby matches rather than football matches.

The statistics speak for themselves. There were NO arrests for rugby-related violence in Australia during the whole of the tournament to my knowledge, whilst we have dozens every time teams play football in the UK.

happysod
12-12-2003, 04:09 AM
James, must nit-pick here. This only applies to rugby union, rugby league (a much better game in my opinion) has never suffered from being called a "toffs" sport.

Taliesin
12-12-2003, 07:49 AM
How on god's earth can anyone possibly conclude that back only rugby with no real scrums, no lineouts, no rucking, no mauling, no possibility for phase after phase of play, (when you have to give the ball to the other side after six tackles)can be better than the greatest game on earth.

I do conceed that you have developed the only two skill required (tackling and passing) to a higher standard. But those are the only two kill needed.

Please explain the process that led you to such a strange conclusion

happysod
12-12-2003, 08:51 AM
The reply lies in your own email, skill... the pace is faster as you know you only have so much possession and the barge through approach by a pack just does not enter the game. As for no rucking etc. so I miss out on all those big boys mixing it up as much, just not my scene... :D

Also I compare and contrast the standard (rather than world cup) matches available to watch on a regular basis and league gets my vote every time

Taliesin
12-12-2003, 09:45 AM
So to summarize it's a better game because there's less to it. As for pace, compaire real rugby at it's best - for example the Welsh backs against NZ and England and the pace and skill is just as high as back's only rugby.

After allif you want to watch an abbreviated form of rugby watch 7's -speed, skill and pace and STILL better than League.

As far as skill is concerned the skills in union in Scrummaging (nobody can really call what happens in League a scrum), lineout, ruck, maul, passing tackling, tactical awareness, kicking and passing. Maybe there too much skill for your taste.

happysod
12-12-2003, 10:59 AM
David, you're just an inverterate heathen, may you find the path to true rugby soon my son (you'll be advising touch rugby next)

Taliesin
12-12-2003, 11:13 AM
How can I be a heathen when i come from Wales, God's own country,. Also I must congratulate you on the wisdom of not attempting to pursue your 'argument'.

As far a 'touch rugby'is concerned you were quite happy to take player like JD and Scot Gibbs. I like the tackling in league, as I said before it's its only redeeming feature.

May you soon see the light of real rugby instead of it's pale northern shadow.

Jim ashby
12-12-2003, 03:03 PM
I agree that league has never been classed as a "toffs" sport. Rugby isn't a "toffs" sport, I played at school (a comprehensive) and I'm working class.I just feel very strongly that all of the sports pundits are too ready to call football "our national game" with nothing to back up this claim. I really dislike football, the last televised game I saw was the most bad-tempered, grabbing, kicking, elbowing display of ego it has ever been my misfortune to witness. If this is "the beautiful game" you can keep it.

happysod
12-15-2003, 04:08 AM
David, you're being mean, I'll do an aikiweb and take my funny shaped ball and leave... as for pinching players? Well, hows about the number league players pinched by union now that union finally pays it's players a decent wage?

Sorry David, I realise union is your secondary religion, but I'll stick with my league. I'll happily acknowledge the skill in the International scene, but for a sport to follow, league will keep my support.

James, fully support what you say, there's just no comparison.

Taliesin
12-31-2003, 09:02 AM
Ian - I can agree to disagree. To each their own