PDA

View Full Version : Some1 check this please?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Stuart Mckay
10-31-2003, 07:38 AM
hey i had a go at translating my dojo name and my own name into katakana.

this was the result.

i didnt actually translate my own name but i found my name meaning on a japanese site and it said royal so i translated that from oushitsu which is the japanese for royal i hope iv done it correctly.

so let me know if its not.

Thank you.

Don_Modesto
10-31-2003, 08:35 AM
hey i had a go at translating my dojo name and my own name into katakana.

i didnt actually translate my own name but i found my name meaning on a japanese site and it said royal so i translated that from oushitsu which is the japanese for royal i hope iv done it correctly.
FWIW from someone with but rudimentary skills in Jpn, as you're using KATAKANA, whose purpose is to give the pronunciation of foreign words, you would probably confuse fewer Jpn folk were you to use you western name rather than its translation into Jpn meaning through KANJI (assuming I understand what you've done.)

Accordingly, you're name would be pronounced--Schuwahto Make.

Stuart Mckay
10-31-2003, 12:05 PM
kool, and that doesnt have any alternate meanings in japanese no?

is my dojoname translated correctly?

mj
10-31-2003, 01:49 PM
Soweto Makke!

Didn't I see you in Nigeria?

Stuart Mckay
10-31-2003, 03:33 PM
err no, iv only been doing this for about 2months now

Don_Modesto
10-31-2003, 05:00 PM
kool, and that doesnt have any alternate meanings in japanese no?-1

is my dojoname translated correctly?-2
1) Ueshiba Morihei's guru, Deguchi Onisaburo, once quipped that Japan had been McArthur(ed) as the pronunciation of McArthur and "lost" in Jpn is similar (MAKETA). "Make" might have the resonance of lose, but my Jpn isn't colloquial enough to say.

2) It's not translated, it's transliterated. KATAKANA is for transcribing sound, not meaning. Again, someone else better at the language would be better to answer that (but it looks good to me.)

Kensho Furuya
11-02-2003, 12:12 PM
Hello! I am not sure if you are getting your question answered here so maybe I can help you out here. Do you want your name in Japanese phonetically or by meaning?

Usually, non-Japanese words are rendered phonetically as closely as the Japanese phonetic system allows and is written in katakana. Sometimes, it can be ok to translate by meaning using kanji (Chinese characters) or render your name phonetically by Chinese characters.

Your best bet is to find a Japanese speaking friend where you are and ask him his opinion and have him help you. Usually, and the easiest way, is to just use your name, "Stuart" in katakana, phonetically. It would come out something like "su to a to." Your last name would be something like "ma kei." The common character for "ma" means "evil" so it is better to use your first name, I think, in my opinionm, or use your last name phonetically.

What does "sakuyo" mean? Or what do you want it to mean? "Saku" means "scheme" or "plot" so I don't think it is a good character to use in your dojo name. Usually, it is the custom to use auspicious words or words conveying the virtues of your dojo.

As I mentioned earlier, it is better to have someone who knows Japanese talk to you and figure out a good name in Japanese for you which you like. Sometimes, using a language which we don't really know can be dangerous. I have seen the names of many dojos which have "odd" Japanese names, names that do not sound right in Japanese. Some names are very funny to Japanese. . . . .I'm sorry to say. . . . I remember a friend had some words tatooed onto his arm in big Chinese characters which he wanted to say, "trust no one."

Unfortunately, he was not a Japanese speaking person, and inadvertently had tatooed onto his arm, "Unreliable person!" Gads! I didn't know what to say because I was in such shock!! I rest my case. . . . Anyways, if you really need help, you can use me as a last resort. Thanks!

Stuart Mckay
11-02-2003, 01:21 PM
thanx, i know wat my dojoname means, sakuyoukan = house of the great northern warrior

i am wondering if some1 can translate it into kanji for me, as fo my name im open to suggestions.

Im buying a weapons carry case and am wanting to get these 2 things embroidered n to it rather than just right ting my name on it with a pen so need it to look good :D

thanx again

akiy
11-02-2003, 03:47 PM
thanx, i know wat my dojoname means, sakuyoukan = house of the great northern warrior

i am wondering if some1 can translate it into kanji for me, as fo my name im open to suggestions.
The name of your dojo sounds Japanese. If so, I'm sure it already has kanji characters for its name; otherwise, your dojo probably wouldn't have received its name. Have you tried asking your instructor for the kanji characters for the name of the dojo?

-- Jun

Stuart Mckay
11-02-2003, 05:33 PM
will do that but was lookin for them in a comuter format as i dont have a scanner.

bcole23
11-02-2003, 10:40 PM
ストアト マッケー

you have to have that little tsu in there so it doesn't sound like 'ma ke' but 'mkke'

Stuart Mckay
11-04-2003, 06:17 PM
thanx, looks like ill need to download a language pack though its appearing as

ストアト マッケー

lol...