View Full Version : Aikido Christmas wish list...?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Stuart Mckay
10-27-2003, 11:52 AM
Been wondering of things for people to get me for me christmas cause im usually quite bad at it, but now that iv started aikido im guessing there is a few things i could buy that would do me good.

Also feel free to post what ur ideal aikido christmas present would be.

Brehan Crawford
10-27-2003, 11:54 AM
I already told my folks I'd love a couple months of dojo dues :)

Stuart Mckay
10-27-2003, 11:55 AM
ok how about a material type object?

Brehan Crawford
10-27-2003, 12:18 PM
well for me, it would probably be ibuprofen and arnica cream to help with my knees. :)

Or an ice machine, heh.

Seriously though, what do you need besides a gi and belt (and a hakama depending on your rank and dojo)? A nice pair of zoris maybe?

10-27-2003, 12:46 PM
A good book!!!!:D ,.. ahh,.. and a ticket to Tokio,... maybe Doshu would like to see me in his dojo for a while ,.. jajaja!!!;),.. of course the ticket must go with some yens!!:freaky:

10-27-2003, 12:55 PM
I already have a few answers for that question. In no particular order...

1. Hakama. I still haven't figured out the precise length that I need. Also, I would rather attend an upcoming local seminar with Mary Heiny, Sensei so Santa Claus probably won't be bringing a hakama.

2. Aikido in America. My teacher wrote a book that I would like to own. I borrowed it from the library but I still want my own copy.

3. Bujin Design Calligraphy. I would like one of Ikeda Sensei's hand-brushed calligraphy items. Someday, perhaps.

4. 3rd Kyu Techniques Tape. My teacher has a group of VHS tapes where he demonstrates the techniques on the associated test. 3rd kyu is next for me (next fall).

5. Tanto. I have a bokken and a jo already.

kung fu hamster
10-27-2003, 01:14 PM
How about some mats and some guaranteed space (like basement, or any area with high ceiling) to lay them down, so you can practice...?

(p.s. my folks would laugh in my face and say sardonically, "How about a book or video?" "I think I just heard a giant sucking sound in my wallet...!" But that's just them... :p )

Stuart Mckay
10-27-2003, 01:21 PM
all good thanx, dont know about getting a place to practise but lol... not feasable for me at this moment in time.

i dont think ill go for a seminar just yet. im still sore from the last one,

weekend with Juba Nour at Wishaw dojo for a BA Autumn Course.

was fun :D

Jeanne Shepard
10-27-2003, 09:38 PM
My gift list would have alot of books, vidios and airfare to seminars. Not to mention time to hang around some of the cool places they happen...

10-28-2003, 01:02 AM
How about a nice iaito ?

That was on my wishing list for a couple of years, until my wife finally caved in and allowed me to buy one.... :D

10-28-2003, 06:14 AM

Ok...Aikido wish list......

1. All of the O sensei and Saito vids from Aikido Journal.

2. Aikido Journal subscription.

3. Uchi deshi holiday to Japan.

4. Some new gi's (mine are getting too small...I think theyre shrinkning ;) nothing to do with the pies!)

4. Loads of stuff from Bujindesign.

5. New zori.

6. Some more new students.

7. A dojo (a big one!)

8. Some magic cream that makes knees better.

9. A tanren training tyre stand.

10. A digital video camera for posterity.

11. A student who just so happens to be a physiotherapist/masseur for all those aches and pains!

12. A time machine...im sure you can guess why :D

13. Some good books.

14. The ability to make a living doing Aikido so I can train all of the time and dont have to go to work to be able to fuel my obsession! :rolleyes:

15.......the moon on a stick :p

Ummmm...I think thats about it!

10-28-2003, 06:16 AM
I've always thought one of the nice things about aikido was that you don't need much stuff. Don't even need a gi really, just heart.

A unlimited ticket to ride would be a good luxury. - Travel on any train/plane, and be free to practice with whoever. That'd be cool.

What about techniques magically bestowed? Wouldn't mind silent over the top ukemi.

10-28-2003, 06:32 AM
Maybe another gi and a bokken and jo that should do it for me.

10-28-2003, 06:56 AM
This is going to be a busy year for Santa ....

10-28-2003, 07:46 AM
Too easy -

Donovan Waite ukemi tapes.

10-28-2003, 08:09 AM
As you're in Scotland and this year's looking bad, I'd ask santa for some thermal gi pants :D - I've never trained in a Scottish dojo which understood heating...

kung fu hamster
10-28-2003, 09:32 AM
How about a monogrammed weapons bag or gear bag?

10-28-2003, 11:08 AM
I wan't an autograph from O'sensei. On a hand-made Gi. Oh.. and a double sword stand made from Ebony Wood.

kung fu hamster
10-28-2003, 11:16 AM
By the way, my suggestions are for you, not me... I don't want anyone to look at my posts and think I need a weapons bag or mats or anything... just my two cents, that's all...

Stuart Mckay
10-28-2003, 12:43 PM
Too easy -

Donovan Waite ukemi tapes.
idd i been lookin to get them, but only thing is i can only getthem from amazon.com not .co.uk and they are ntsc format so im not sure wether they would play in my vcr.

im currently looking for a british version of them or preferrably on dvd.

/me wishes himself luck

10-28-2003, 12:54 PM
How about a nice iaito ?
That's what I'm getting...yeah just a few more dollars to save and it'll be all mine!!

I would also put high on my list:

*a nice hickory jo (50", grade 5) from Kingfisher Woodworks (http://mivasecure.abac.com/kingfisherwoodworks/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=001&Product_Code=012&Category_Code=l)

*books and videos (an online gift certificate to Aikido Journal ( would work well)

*a bigger weapons bag (either style E or D in forest green Cordura from Bu Jin Design (http://www.bujindesign.com/cases2.html)

*Mizuno (http://www.martialartssupermarket.com/index.cfm?action=showProd&catid=1&keyword=Mizuno%20&row_start=11) (single weave, size 6) gi are always welcome

*tabi (http://www.houserice.com/houserice/cottabsoc.html) (black, size 10 1/5)

All the links and info are on the off chance my family or girlfriend reads this :D Oh, I suppose you could use the links to get your aiki person something nice too ;)

10-28-2003, 12:56 PM
Good presie for aiki fiends here:

Very origional and funny.

More humour here if you have the autumn blues (stop laughing Australians):

Stuart Mckay
10-28-2003, 01:15 PM
How about a monogrammed weapons bag or gear bag?
hm sounds good, i need a weapons bag, i just been usin me m8s fishin rod bag for this now.

wondering if i could get my name translated into japanese, not directly but the equivalent of my name in japanese.

any ideas where i could get a weapons bag with embroidery made to order?

also any1 know where i can translate my name to japanese?

kung fu hamster
10-28-2003, 02:24 PM
Maybe check into getting one with your dojo's monogram (ask your dojo cho or other administrative person in the know), that's what I did (ordered from Bujin). If you get your name translated, I hope the translator does a good job, you wouldn't want it to have some goofy alternate meaning...

Stuart Mckay
10-28-2003, 02:28 PM
yeah thats wat i mean i want the japanese equivelant of my name and or my dojos name, but tryin to get it into kanji can b retty difficult.

my dojos name is "sakuyoukan", home of the great nothern warior.

so if any1 can translate that into knaji for me then that would b excellent.

Jeanne Shepard
10-28-2003, 09:08 PM
A friend of mine's hakama is embroidered "Rynn" because her Sensei can't say"Lynn", so he calls her "Rynn".

10-29-2003, 02:05 AM
idd i been lookin to get them, but only thing is i can only getthem from amazon.com not .co.uk and they are ntsc format so im not sure wether they would play in my vcr.
Most newer VCR's and TV's are "multicast" (IIRC the lingo). Meaning they can play NTSC and PAL. Take a look thru your instruction manuals.

Also, there's always Ebay ;-)

10-29-2003, 02:25 AM
an iaito and a training trip to hombu

Kensho Furuya
10-29-2003, 06:48 AM
An end to suffering for sick, abused and hungry children all over the world. No more wars, no more killing, no more terrorism . . . Peace and harmony among all Aikidoists. Oh yes, and if all my students could master ushiro ryokata-tori waza . . .

10-29-2003, 09:32 PM
Also feel free to post what ur ideal aikido christmas present would be.

Uh, how come nobody's said 'peace and harmony' and such?:freaky:

uh, JVC has come out with some new, reatively cheap HDDV cameras. I'd like two please, so that I can keep doing biomechanical data analysis of aikido in my spare time. Oh and a large plasma display monitor to take advantage of digitizing in that HD part.

:D :ai:

10-29-2003, 09:35 PM
An end to suffering for sick, abused and hungry children all over the world. No more wars, no more killing, no more terrorism . . . Peace and harmony among all Aikidoists. Oh yes, and if all my students could master ushiro ryokata-tori waza . . .
Hah! I knew it would come up:D

simultaneous posts, so we thought of it at the same time, though you elaborated and didn't satarize.:)

Kensho Furuya
10-30-2003, 07:46 AM
I didn't mind saying it and don't mind saying it again. Although I am a Buddhist, I still believe the Birth of Christ is an important event and we should be thinking of higher things. I don't want to be a party-pooper here, but sometimes, Christmas just gets too materialistic for me. . . .

Otherwise, I wouldn't mind a new Nissan 350z in that beautiful metallic blue or a Ducati . . .

haha! - as long as it doesn't make me a "menace to society!" My Best and an early Season's Greetings to all.

10-30-2003, 09:12 AM
I wish I can be put into a time machine and go back to study under O Sensei... hope this happens tonight during REM...

Now for the material part... a brand new Honda InTegra Type R DC5, with a driving license. Hmmmm... I think this part should be included in my first paragraph.

See you on the race circuit, Mr. Furuya

An early Merry Christmas to all. :D

12-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Bokken, Weapons Carrier, Tanto, Spyderco Folding Knife, Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere, new gi, mats at home to pratice, trip to Japan! (Money included) and money and transportation to all the seminars my heart desires!!

12-23-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm very happy my two older children came from Madrid and it is my best gift that we can celebrate all together. Last year my three children made me a CD with old and new photos and a nice song, it was so emotive that my husband and me must cry, it was the best gift in my life and not expensive, made just with imagination, knowledge in computer and much love.

12-23-2010, 12:53 PM
For myself, I'd be very happy if my rheumatoid arthritis could cut me just a little slack. I'd like to have one day without serious pain and disability. Anything else I could want comes a very distant second.

12-23-2010, 02:11 PM
An aikido related gift.... hmmmm..... how about an iaito, bujin weapons bag, shinai and while we are conjuring up things that are out of my reach, how about some talent?

Demetrio Cereijo
12-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Not aikido related but...

12-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Not aikido related but...

Very nice Demetrio. It makes me reflection about how much we really have and be grateful for that...