PDA

View Full Version : What belt should I wear at a seminar??

Please visit our sponsor:

Chocolateuke
09-25-2003, 07:26 PM
Im going to a seminar tommorow. I haven't been to many seminars and am a little hazy about the formalities. I have a shodan in Yoshinkan, the seminar is an aikikai seminar. Should I wear my Black belt or White belt? I asked my Sensei and I believe he said I should wear my black belt, however I have a hearing impairment and am not 100%. It would be cool to wear the white belt and have a beginners mind and appearence.

Thanks!

Larry Feldman
09-25-2003, 07:47 PM
Can't go to far wrong with the White Belt, especially if it is not a seminar in your 'style'. It is a humble approach.

People will see you have experience from your ukemi.

Nacho_mx
09-25-2003, 07:50 PM
An Aikikai yudansha may wear a white belt if he/she wants at anytime but only if he/she wears the hakama. If you choose not to wear a hakama, then you should use your black obi. Well, at least thatīs how it works around here.

Chocolateuke
09-25-2003, 08:06 PM
But I am not an Aikikai Yudansha, and I dont have a Hakama. HEH, Ill go white if that is no objection to the seneis.

Nacho_mx
09-25-2003, 10:49 PM
Of course, you should always ask first, I donīt think it will be a problem. You may even ambush some overconfident yudansha thinking you are a lowly beginner :) beware of their revenge when your real rank is out! :D

PeterR
09-26-2003, 12:13 AM
Hi Dallas - it varies from dojo to dojo, seminar to seminar but lately I just go with white belt.

Personally I'm not a great seminar goer, I just don't feel I get that much out of them. I do visit dojos when I travel but even there its mostly a social thing.

In either case (especially when you go a different style) the black belt only serves (and then only sometimes) to insulate you from the 5th kyu shihan.

Largo
09-30-2003, 11:17 PM
you can never go wrong with sequins. ;)