PDA

View Full Version : Hosting a seminar/clinic

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

zachbiesanz
09-21-2003, 01:51 PM
As the president of our university club, it has become my responsibility to invite guest instructors to drop in and give us some new perspective on things. I have a fairly good idea of how to conduct such an event, but still, hit me with your advice.

MikeE
09-21-2003, 09:28 PM
Zach,

You might want to try some of us around the Twin Cities area to come in for a clinic. Not too much money would be involved (I would think) and you have some great people to choose from in the area. It might be a good way to wet your feet in this area.

zachbiesanz
09-22-2003, 03:32 AM
I currently have people in mind from Rochester (MN), Minneapolis, and Chicago. I just want to be sure I don't do something stupid for those.

Yann Golanski
09-22-2003, 05:03 AM
Make sure you leave plenty of time for the teaching sensei and local administrivia -- fees, times, who, when, what, halls, food, socials, accomodation, etc... Then allow at least a month of advertising after all the above has been done.

So, from start to end, it all takes about three months. At least for me it does!

BTW, pay attention to insurence, medical help and special needs.

JJF
09-22-2003, 07:22 AM
Just a few thoughts off the top of my head:

Take into account that you will likely have to entertain and feed the visiting sensei. It can amount to quite a bit - both in money and in time.

In Kiel they have this wonderful idea of supplying bottled water for everybody free of charge. I believe it really reduces the risk of injuries.

Make shure that it will be no legal problem to let visiting students sleep over in your dojo.

3 hours of practice in the morning and two in the afternoon is usually enough. Don't cram too much into the schedule. Some time is needed to restitute in ordre to avoid injuries.

Larry Feldman
09-25-2003, 08:12 PM
For some it is traditional to provide a gift as well.