PDA

View Full Version : An Aikidoka's mane.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Yann Golanski
09-16-2003, 04:54 AM
I have waist long hair and it's getting a bit of pain to manage on the mat. Cutting it is not really an option -- I like it as it is. So finding some intresting and convient way of getting it out of the way would be good.

Before, I would just fold it and put it into a pony-tail. It did look as if if I had a top knot at times. However, even with the fold, I have too much of a lengh for it to be practical.

Anyone has any advice?

Kensai
09-16-2003, 06:07 AM
Wear a swimming cap.... tee hee

Ghost Fox
09-16-2003, 06:32 AM
Hey Yann,

First, I would suggest cutting as much as you can live with. My hair went almost to my waist when I started Aikido, but now I usually keep it trimmed to just past my shoulder blades.

Secondly, I would suggest getting corn-rows or braids. It helps prevent breakage and keeps your hair out of your face.

Thirdly, for techniques like Shihonage I would suggest tucking your hair into your gi. My hair somtimes get tangled in with uke's elbow with that technique.

Peace and Blessigns.

Yann Golanski
09-16-2003, 08:53 AM
Chris,

Swimming cap => sweat => bursting => ... bad mental image.

*shivers*

;>

Bronson
09-16-2003, 10:09 AM
Do a web search for tenegui. It's the head towel that kendo practitioners wear under their helmet.

Bronson

happysod
09-16-2003, 10:17 AM
Hair net and pretend you work in a street "drugs factory" if any takes the michael - if you think long hair is a problem I saw one poor sod with a beautiful long beard who actually stood on it when coming out of ukemi, we were suitably sympathetic...

j0nharris
09-16-2003, 10:50 AM
Makes me glad that I recently got a new crewcut from having my hair from half way down my back...!

jeda
09-16-2003, 11:19 AM
Try a French Braid and tuck the hanging braid back up under the braid against the head. I can be secured with an elastic at the base of the braid.

Bronson
09-17-2003, 03:19 AM
I can be secured with an elastic at the base of the braid.
Is this a special type of pin that only works on you?

Sorry I couldn't resist :D

Bronson

Yann Golanski
09-17-2003, 03:28 AM
Tonight, I'll try the braid and see what can be done so that I don't get it digging into my back on ushiro ukemi.

I like the idea of the tenegui and will investigate further.

Thanks to everyone. I'll let you know what worked or not.

Clayton Drescher
09-17-2003, 03:35 AM
Are headbands considered appropriate attire for aikidoka? I've got a hair issue too, but its only shoulder length, and I'd like something to keep the sweat off my eyes. I haven't seen any headband wearers around...wondered if there was a taboo or something.

Thanks all!

Clayton

Yann Golanski
09-17-2003, 03:57 AM
As with everything else, ask sensei first. I certaily don't see a problem with it and I have seen people use some hairbands before.

Bronson
09-17-2003, 01:44 PM
Spelling correction, it's tenugui not tenegui. I found sites with both but I found better sites with tenugui.

See here (http://www.asahi-jc.com/tenugui.htm),here (http://www.kinokuniya.info/english/), here (http://www.kinokuniya.info/english/e_tenugui.htm) and here (http://www.e-bogu.com/ebogutenugui.html). There are a lot more sites, I just grabbed these 'cause they were in english with a decent selection.

Go here (http://www.yamatanidojo.com/folding_the_tenugui.htm) to learn how to fold/wear it.

Go here (http://www.well.com/user/pyarrow/saito/tenugui.htm) for a fun picture series of Saito Sensei showing 12 possible uses for tenugui.

Best,

Bronson

jeda
09-17-2003, 03:06 PM
Is this a special type of pin that only works on you?

It's the special "step on Jess' hair while she's down" pin.

:)

Bronson
09-17-2003, 09:19 PM
Hey I've done that pin! Although usually by accident ;)

Bronson

WilliamWessel
09-18-2003, 12:49 AM
I have dreadlocks, and when I finaly start aikido I'm planning on talking to the sensei about being allowed to wear a Tam. (sorta like an oversized wool beanie)

If it's coming down to a safty issue, I'm sure your sensei would make an exception on uniform and allow you to wear a hat of some sort.

Yann Golanski
09-18-2003, 03:42 AM
Last night, I had my hair braided by my girlfreind. She braided it from the crown of my head till the tip. It was then folded into a knote held by a band.

It kept my hair out of the way.

It held through two hours of kote gaeshi.

I think this worked remarkably well. All I have to do now is to learn how to do it myself!

Bronson, thanks for all the links. I shall try to use that one as well and see which one is the best. I'll continue to post reports.

Thanks everyone.

Kent Enfield
09-18-2003, 04:41 PM
I don't see how wearing a tenugui would keep your hair in place or even stay on your head during aikido if worn the way we do in kendo. Being inside your helmet is what keeps it in place, where it's only real purpose is as a removable and, hence, washable liner.

Besides, why spend the money on an imported towel?

Bronson
09-18-2003, 11:20 PM
Besides, why spend the money on an imported towel?

They look nice. That said if it were me I'd probably just go down to the local truck stop and buy one of those do-rag bandanas that are already sewn into head covers with the little ties at the back.

But I'm cheap (and bald) :D

Bronson

aiki_what
09-19-2003, 08:07 AM
I have heard rumors of a Korean martial art that utilizes the long braid of hair as a whip of sorts........or was that just a bad kung fu movie? :0

Hanna B
03-20-2004, 03:07 AM
Go here (http://www.well.com/user/pyarrow/saito/tenugui.htm) for a fun picture series of Saito Sensei showing 12 possible uses for tenugui.
That link does not work. The same as this one, maybe?
http://takemusu.org/patsensei/ss/tenugui.htm
The pictures are really small, though.

John Tjia
03-20-2004, 07:17 AM
Do a queue -- a single Chinese-style braid down the back, like Chow Yun Fat in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Tuck into the gi, I guess, but be careful when you do the rolls!

Greg Jennings
03-20-2004, 10:27 AM
What Jess said. It keeps it out of the way, it looks *hot* and it'll give your hair some waves when you take it out.

Regards,

Janet Rosen
03-20-2004, 02:08 PM
I had to give up and cut my hair in order to train. Seems my scalp is really sensitive, and putting my hair back into anything gives me pain and headaches. Now I let it grow out just until it gets sat upon twice during kneeling pins, then I know its time to get it cut again!

Jeanne Shepard
03-20-2004, 05:11 PM
Headbands and sweatbands are totally OK. I wear them all the time, keeps the hair off of my face and sweat out of my eyes.

Jeanne

p00kiethebear
03-21-2004, 02:02 AM
I had a friend who had waist length hair, she would tie a really thick braid and tuck it between her gi and undershirt. It seemed to work okay for her.

stuartjvnorton
03-21-2004, 07:28 PM
Go the Princess Leia (sp?) buns-on-the-ears thing... 8-)

TheFallGuy
03-21-2004, 11:10 PM
I've had my beard tugged on by an industrious 2 year old. It hurt like you wouldn't believe! And I keep my beard trimmed.

Another option, Yann, would be to do the Princess Leia buns. (heh heh) Just think about it though. You have extra cushioning on the sides, and you don't have to worry about the back pinching on your neck.

Anyway, good luck with it!!

TheFallGuy
03-21-2004, 11:12 PM
Sorry, I didn't see Stuarts post. And I thought I was going to be funny!

Bronson
03-22-2004, 01:13 AM
Headbands and sweatbands are totally OK. I wear them all the time, keeps the hair off of my face and sweat out of my eyes.
A razor (and poor genetics) keeps the hair out of my eyes :D

Bronson

Yann Golanski
03-22-2004, 04:01 AM
The problem with tucking your hair in your dogi is that break falling hurts. We (Shodokan) do backwards break falls more the judo way -- as otherwise, neck injuries get all too common. So, there's not much point in me doing that.

The way I have my hair now-a-days is braided and the braid inter-loops within itself at the back of my head. It holds and keeps it all out of the way

cbrf4zr2
03-22-2004, 07:56 AM
I never understood why anyone would train with long hair. My my hair gets long enough to be grabbed, which about 1/2" - 3/4" long (1.2 - 1.8cm) it's time to shave it back down to 1/8" to 1/4". I figure why give anyone something else to use against you. I've often used "hair-nage" on the long haired guys during randori or a botched kokyunage. I don't really see any reason why you can't cut your hair. Image must be more important than training? :rolleyes:

Qatana
03-22-2004, 09:26 AM
Once again. why is it that Guys have problems with their hair and We don't?

Karen Wolek
03-22-2004, 10:09 AM
Once again. why is it that Guys have problems with their hair and We don't?
I dunno, Jo. I have hair past my shoulders, so do most of the other girls at the dojo. I never have any real hair issues at the dojo!

I did learn NOT to get up from a pin until AFTER nage gets up, though. Riiiiiiip! ;)

aikiSteve
03-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Forget about the long hair on your head! Hair on your chest mixed with a through-the-gi Katadori. That's when it gets ugly. evileyes

btw, Edward do you shave your chest? ;)

Steve Nelson

cbrf4zr2
03-22-2004, 03:17 PM
btw, Edward do you shave your chest? ;)

Steve Nelson
Do you really want to know the answer to that question? :eek:

aikiSteve
03-23-2004, 07:03 AM
Do you really want to know the answer to that question? :eek:
Only to find out how important image really is! :D

Steve Nelson

cbrf4zr2
03-23-2004, 08:29 AM
Only to find out how important image really is! :D

Steve Nelson
I don't, and it's never been an issue for me. I can't really grab my hair through my T-shirt, let alone a double woven gi.

Nick Simpson
03-24-2004, 07:52 AM
I have longish hair, gets stepped on a bit now during pins, a bit of pain never hurt anyone. my sensei used to have long hair and he told me one of his sensei used to use it in iriminage and regularly rip some of it out.

I like my hair longer, I dont look good with a shaved head so image is important to me (Im vain :) ). If someone wants to utilise it on the mat then I have no problem punching them in the face while their concentrating on tugging my hair.

Ian Upstone
03-24-2004, 09:38 AM
My dad reckons the whole mod haircut thing in the sixties started from the judo club he trained at then.

One poor chap had his hair stood on when he was on the ground, and lost a bit of it. There was blood and lots of yelping apparently.

Next session they all turned up with the shortly cropped (but about to be fashionable) haircut.

Not sure whether this is just another one of 'those' stories - you know what these judo people are like...