PDA

View Full Version : Aiki Expo - Are you going?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Misogi-no-Gyo
09-15-2003, 03:20 PM
Thought I would take a quick survey to find out who will be attending this year's event, and, if so, in what capacity.

Are you attending this year's Aiki Expo?

A. Yes, as a spectator.
B. Yes, as a participant.
C. Yes, assisting my Sensei in our demo.
D. Yes, assisting my Sensei in our workshop.
E. No.

In my case, A, C & D.

MikeE
09-15-2003, 09:36 PM
D.

I have a baby on the way. Shodo o seisu dictates I should probably be around for its arrival :)

JJF
09-16-2003, 02:02 AM
Congratulations Mike.

Yes you definately should. It's just about the weirdest and most marvelous experience I've ever had.

All the best wishes

Paula Lydon
09-16-2003, 08:31 AM
~~B~~Perhaps we'll...bump...into one another. Have a great time there, I intend to!

Misogi-no-Gyo
09-16-2003, 10:14 AM
Congratulations Mike.

Yes you definately should. It's just about the weirdest and most marvelous experience I've ever had.

All the best wishes
Mike, Gongrtulations!

I, too, hope to meet people from the web boards. If you get the chance, please come up and introduce yourself - especially if we have ever bumped heads in the past on any issue. Let's shake hands and train together!

kironin
09-16-2003, 10:21 AM
---- B. Yes, as a participant.

So I will be watching you fly early Saturday night ?

Craig

akiy
09-16-2003, 10:36 AM
I'll be there as a participant. I may also be involved in a couple of the demonstrations...

-- Jun

kironin
09-16-2003, 10:50 AM
I, too, hope to meet people from the web boards. If you get the chance, please come up and introduce yourself - especially if we have ever bumped heads in the past on any issue. Let's shake hands and train together!
Maybe we can talk about breathing and torifune.

Craig

akiy
09-16-2003, 11:08 AM
By the way, does anyone have the schedule for the demonstrations?

Unfortunately, I won't have an AikiWeb table this year since I heard vendor costs went up. Not that last year's AikiWeb table served to much use since I was a bit busy running around getting my butt kicked by far too many people...

I may come with some T-shirts stashed away, though.

-- Jun

Misogi-no-Gyo
09-16-2003, 12:18 PM
Maybe we can talk about breathing and torifune.

Craig
Craig-San,

Of course we can! Not knowing your schedule, if I might make a suggestion, if you are interested in Kokyu breathing, Kokyu-Ryoku, and the understanding of how to apply the seemingly meaningless torifune (funakoki undo - rowing) and furitama (rapid vertical hand shaking) into aikido techniques, then I would highly recommend that you try to get to Haruo Matsuoka Sensei's Kokyu workshop. It begins at 10:50 AM on Saturday the 20th in room Raquettball-4.

Last year the room was over-filled with more than 60 people on the mat, and another twenty watching, so try to come early. I look forward to seeing you there.

Misogi-no-Gyo
09-16-2003, 12:20 PM
By the way, does anyone have the schedule for the demonstrations?

-- Jun
Here it is!

http://65.119.177.242/expo/demo_schedule_2003.htm

SeiserL
09-17-2003, 12:07 AM
B-C-D See you all there. I'm the big (6'4" 225 lbs) old (almost 53) man with the blonde pony tail.

kironin
09-17-2003, 03:06 AM
Craig-San,

Of course we can! Not knowing your schedule, if I might make a suggestion, if you are interested in Kokyu breathing, Kokyu-Ryoku, and the understanding of how to apply the seemingly meaningless torifune (funakoki undo - rowing) and furitama (rapid vertical hand shaking) into aikido techniques, then I would highly recommend that you try to get to Haruo Matsuoka Sensei's Kokyu workshop. It begins at 10:50 AM on Saturday the 20th in room Raquettball-4.

Last year the room was over-filled with more than 60 people on the mat, and another twenty watching, so try to come early. I look forward to seeing you there.
Had plans for Saturday morning in the main sessions. Torifune (Funakogi) is quite essential to many throws in the Ki Society so you won't get an arguement there. We were disagreeing on the need to tie breath to movement as I recall. This I have not seen any convincing arguements for though I have seen it taught or teachers do it in other organizations. I was looking through the door last year for a while after having been in another class. What I saw seemed pretty familiar. I am sure I would enjoy it but my schedule on Saturday depends somewhat on how I like some classes on Friday. There is so much going on that you have to avoid losing focus. Last year my focus was on Daito Ryu and Yanagi Ryu since I heard much.

Several different methods of breathing and misogi are practiced in the Ki Society and seminar time is often devoted to it, so I am not a stranger to it.

Craig

Paula Lydon
09-17-2003, 09:00 PM
~~Lynn, I'll be looking for you! Would love to meet and thank you in person for your support :)