PDA

View Full Version : aikido versus other Martial Arts..

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

actoman
09-14-2003, 10:27 AM
While I am new, it seems that most would agree that Aikido, in the hands of a very capable and highly trained aikidoka, could win every time because for the most part he is relaxed, and calm in the face of challenge, as well as not having to do any fancy techniques like kicks, etc.

I don't know but it seems the old saying that you are strongest at your most relaxed would really hold true.

Opinions?

Greg Jennings
09-14-2003, 10:42 AM
It's not the art, it's the artist. There is no silver bullet art. Just sweat and sacrifice.

FWIW,

Jim ashby
09-14-2003, 10:54 AM
This thread AGAIN!?!? This subject has been done to death again and again. Use the library function please.

PhilJ
09-14-2003, 11:39 AM
Referring to the silver bullet, I read in some aikido book that the ultimate martial arts weapon is... a nuclear bomb. Then, it's big guys named "Bubba"... :)

What the heck was that book?

*Phil

jimbaker
09-14-2003, 02:04 PM
In Re: Bubba

I'm afraid that would be me.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jimbaker6/aa/askjim.htm

For another FAQ:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jimbaker6/aa/faq.htm

PhilJ
09-14-2003, 02:25 PM
EXCELLENT Jim, thanks! That's what I read... but I thought it was in a book. Were you published?

*Phil

Qatana
09-14-2003, 03:09 PM
darn i wish i coulda downloaded the video i got last week of Penguin Iriminage...

Adrian Smith
09-14-2003, 03:51 PM
darn i wish i coulda downloaded the video i got last week of Penguin Iriminage...
The "penguins on the ice floe" one where one trips the other? It's been floating around the net for a few years, and unfortunately it's faked. :(

-drin

jimbaker
09-14-2003, 05:39 PM
Phil asked;

EXCELLENT Jim, thanks! That's what I read... but I thought it was in a book. Were you published?

It was in Carol Schifflett"s book, "Aikido, Exercises for Teaching and Training" The "Wendy Gunther, MD" quoted throughout is my lovely wife. A great sourcebook of good advice.

JIM

PeterR
09-14-2003, 08:17 PM
And in a wonderful display of marketing savey Carol quoted a number of Aikido-L members all of who (the quoted ones) bought the book.

PhilJ
09-14-2003, 09:13 PM
It was in Carol Schifflett"s book, "Aikido, Exercises for Teaching and Training" The "Wendy Gunther, MD" quoted throughout is my lovely wife. A great sourcebook of good advice.

JIM
Aha, I have this book, mystery solved. :)

*Phil

jimbaker
09-16-2003, 01:38 PM
And in a wonderful display of marketing savey Carol quoted a number of Aikido-L members all of who (the quoted ones) bought the book.
Ah, but we got our copy as a gift from Carol. A classy lady.

As to the original question, any nine year old with a 9mm can beat any ninth Dan in any Art.

JIM

Ron Tisdale
09-16-2003, 02:21 PM
Huh, sometimes all it takes is a five year old with a sling shot!

:)

shihonage
09-16-2003, 02:28 PM
Sometimes all it takes is a 3-year old with a 30-year old.

Abasan
09-17-2003, 12:20 AM
The "penguins on the ice floe" one where one trips the other? It's been floating around the net for a few years, and unfortunately it's faked. :(

-drin
It wasn't an iriminage, just a slap on the back. And its pretty funny, didn't look fake at all. I wouldve posted it, but its over 400kb. So aikiweb won't allow it. If you want, i can mail it to you.

Ari Bolden
09-17-2003, 04:23 PM
This was taken from my message board on my website:

Ari,

I am a little concerned about what your ideas of realistic martial arts training are. In your video section you have several examples of traditional, non-effective styles versus modern techniques. However, contrary to that thought, you seem to be promoting Aikido!

Most modern-style practitioners would argue Aikido as one of the worst styles to train in for realistic self-defense or 'street fighting'. Aikido promo videos always showcase aikido techniques against a co-ordinated attacker and never real opponents. I would think that anyone who has seen NHB matches or anyone who has studied either grappling, throwing or striking would know that many (most??) aikido techniques are hardly realistic or effective against a real adversary. Where is aikido in UFC/PRIDE? I would go so far as to say that attempting aikido techniques in a real fight could quite possibly harm your chances of coming out on top! I look forward to your thoughts on this.

My reply:

You may be a bit confused on my training philosophy. Let me explain.

I am not ONLY promoting aikido, but daito ryu jujitsu, modern grappling, and brazilian jiu jitsu techniques. I am not sure where you got the impression "this is a pure aikido guy and he is promoting only stand up techniques against nhb fighters."

My first love is for aikido, that's true.

My classes are divided into self defense, traditional martial art instruction (aikido, daito ryu) which includes all the throws, joint locks, chokes et al, and submission grappling.

I am not promoting aikido for use in real life attacks per se (very hard to throw someone when you are on you back!) I use aikido as a tool to teach proper stance, kazushi (unbalancing) and for the pure enjoyment of it.

You have to remember that there are many aikido techniques that come from daito ryu (which is a grappling/striking art). It's the practicioner as much as the art that make the technique.

I only use those videos to promote Jiu-Jitsu and ground fighting and why it's important. I have the aikido videos on there to show the beauty of the technique.

I am as much a realist as I am a lover of traditional budo. I don't think there is a magic solution or art that handles everything sufficiently. That is why I cross train.

If we are talking about pure reality self defense, using what ever tools you have at your disposal is a great idea no? Reverse knee kicks, eye gouge, elbow to the temple, or better yet...run away. It's about survival afterall.

I hope I've cleared up a few things for you.

What do you think?

cheers

ARi

bolaji olayinka
09-24-2003, 10:29 AM
it is quite clear that aikido is not only for fashion but for real. although i am new in aikido but the little i have seen through my research have proved this.