PDA

View Full Version : The third foot

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

C. Emerson
09-12-2003, 10:35 AM
Can anyone explain the philosophy of the third foot. I understand his "next step", although I was wondering about other uses or strategys' for it.

-Chad

Greg Jennings
09-12-2003, 11:54 AM
We talk about the "third leg" a lot.

If you view the human body as a three-legged stool with one leg missing, the body is then inherently unstable in the direction of the missing leg.

Best Regards,

opherdonchin
09-12-2003, 12:54 PM
I've always found this wording sort of funny. I mean, I don't deny that it's effective as a teaching tool, but why would you think of the human body as a three-legged stool? There's a saying in Hebrew, "if Grandma had wheels, then we could drive her to the store." My point (sorry) is that you could come up with all sorts of metaphors like this. What makes this one particularly apt, except that it's useful?

SeiserL
09-12-2003, 02:05 PM
IMHO, its a balance point to aim for. Its like asking the body to be supported by the one leg (or foot) of a tripod that isn't there.

Greg Jennings
09-12-2003, 03:01 PM
What makes this one particularly apt, except that it's useful?
Nothing. It's just a particularly good visualization for beginners.

I have a MSEE specializing in controls. Bipedal robotics were a project of mine.

I draw my personal insights from there, but they are not useful for 99.99% of people out there.

Regards,

Paul Klembeck
09-12-2003, 06:34 PM
I like to say "If we were descended from dinosaurs, and had a tail".

Paul

PhilJ
09-12-2003, 07:17 PM
But I see Opher's point. I hear tables used a lot in analogies too, and even pallbearers in a funeral. I suppose it just serves to illustrate a point, as Lynn suggests.

*Phil

C. Emerson
09-15-2003, 12:49 AM
Do you find that the third leg dictates the direction of your movement for most techneques?

Bronson
09-15-2003, 01:09 AM
Do you find that the third leg dictates the direction of your movement...?
Does that sound dirty to anyone else?;)

Bronson