PDA

View Full Version : Engraving on wooden weapons

Please visit our sponsor:

BC
12-08-2000, 02:29 PM
Does anyone have any tips on engraving wooden weapons? I am thinking about engraving my initials at the base of the tsuka of my bokken, and am wondering what the best method(s) and tool(s) would be. Also, is there any risk that I would weaken the weapon by doing so? Or would it be preferable to burn the characters into the wood, rather than engraving them? Any comments would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Shipley
12-08-2000, 04:24 PM
I've successfully used a woodburning tool (kind of a really really hot pen :) ). If it is the end (kashira) of the bokken it will have no effect on strength, if it is alongside the tsuka I'd have a hard time believing that it'd hurt, that is not a stress point. If I was going to just engrave it I'd use a dremel type carving tool with a special fitting (www.woodcraft.com has several (no I don't have anything to do with them)). Either way I would for sure find a piece of the same type of wood and try this several times on it before marking up your nice pretty bokken :).

Hope this is helpful,

Paul

Aikilove
12-08-2000, 04:25 PM
Hi BC!
I would go for burning in your initials. That is what I did.
Tip! If you can, make a stamp with your logo or initials (illustration). Then you can heat your stamp up by holding it on the stove for a while and then press it towards your weapon!

Jakob B