PDA

View Full Version : weird leg pain

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Jeff Tibbetts
09-08-2003, 01:51 AM
Our dojo had a small seminar on Saturday, and I was probably training a bit harder than I normally do. I noticed at some point that my left shin kindof hurt when I was sitting in seiza and when I touched it. I just thought I caught a bruise, but when I pulled up my gi during the next break, I was surprised to not see a bruise at all. I was thinking that this was a good thing, and it would just go away soon. Anyway, It's gotten just a little worse, and there's still no bruise. So now I'm trying to figure out what it is. It really only hurts when I touch my left shin, sit in seiza, or squat down but not when I'm walking or doing other normal activites. I'm starting to wonder if it could be a hairline fracture or something, or just a bone bruise but I've never felt either of those. I don't care about the pain, but I want to make sure that I don't need to do something about it to make sure it heals well. Any medical people out there know what this might be from what I've said? I would be very surprised if it was a hairline fracture, because it just doesn't hurt that bad; I just don't have any idea what's going on with it. Oh, and I'm broke and have VERY limited freetime, so don't say "go to the doctor..." if it's no big deal. Thanks in advance for any help.

aikidoc
09-08-2003, 12:44 PM
Where on the shin is it located?

Jeff Tibbetts
09-08-2003, 01:38 PM
right in the front, in the middle of the leg.

SeiserL
09-08-2003, 03:40 PM
Shin splits?

RICE: rest, ice, compression, and elevation.

aikidoc
09-08-2003, 06:49 PM
Sounds like shin splints but that can include anything from a compartment syndrome to a hairline fracture. Did you take a shot to the shin? Elevation if there is swelling.

James Harraway
09-08-2003, 08:34 PM
How much does going to a doctor cost in America? One can only get so much information from a history; examination is a huge part of diagnosis. I would agree with John Riggs on the likley cause, but add that if you really want an answer, cough up for a visit to your family doctor

TheFallGuy
09-09-2003, 04:40 PM
RICE: rest, ice, compression, and elevationWhere I come from we spell it differently.

RIICE: rest, ice, ibuprofen, compression, and elevation.

Need that good dose of Vitamin I.:D

batemanb
09-10-2003, 05:53 AM
You would be better off if you get a qualified professional, i.e. doctor, to take a look.

Regards

Bryan

Arianah
09-10-2003, 09:45 PM
Where I come from we spell it differently.

RIICE: rest, ice, ibuprofen, compression, and elevation.

Need that good dose of Vitamin I.:D
Be careful with anti-inflammatories on new injuries. The inflammatory response is actually a good thing, allowing tissue to repair itself by laying down scar tissue. If you interrupt the inflammatory response before an injury has had a chance to fully heal, you risk chronic reinjury.

Also, if you dull the pain, you can fool yourself into believing you can do more with the injured body part than you should be.

Just throwing that out there.

Sarah

John McDonald
09-15-2003, 09:49 PM
I would have started a new thread for this, but for some reason i cant start my own thread. Thats my first question, why cant i start my own thread?? Also, my main question is whenever i sit down in the way that your suppost to sit in Aikido i cant. My legs hurt REALLY badly. I have only been to two practices in my life, so maybe my legs just aernt used to that, but please tell me if im on track or if somethings wrong. Also, if it is just because i just started, how long will it be until i can sit that way comfortably? Thanks alot!

John McDonald

WilliamWessel
09-18-2003, 01:55 AM
I would have started a new thread for this, but for some reason i cant start my own thread. Thats my first question, why cant i start my own thread?? Also, my main question is whenever i sit down in the way that your suppost to sit in Aikido i cant. My legs hurt REALLY badly. I have only been to two practices in my life, so maybe my legs just aernt used to that, but please tell me if im on track or if somethings wrong. Also, if it is just because i just started, how long will it be until i can sit that way comfortably? Thanks alot!

John McDonald
I'd say something to a senior member of your dojo or the sensei after or before practice. Could be you are doing something wrong, and they would most likely be able to help you out.

Other than that, dunno what to say =P