PDA

View Full Version : This Weeks Poll

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Yozzer
12-06-2000, 04:54 AM
I am very intersted in the results of this weeks poll. Personally I have not been physically attacked in the last 10 years at all, althogh on occasion it has been a close run thing.

As far as is possible I do not put myself in situations where I am likely to be attacked, unless my senses have been dulled by too much alchohol, even in such a case I try to be aware of my surroundings.

Thus, it would be interesting to see some feedback from those who have voted in the poll that they have been attacked numerous times in the last 10 years. At the time of writing there have been 24 votes for 10+ attacks.

How? Why? Where? Do these attacks take place, could they have been avoided, that kind of thing. With so many other threads going on about ‘real’ Aikido and street effectiveness this could be quite an intersting thread to see another angle of the debate.

Paul Hughes

Kevin73
12-06-2000, 10:44 AM
I had started a previous thread asking about the same thing. Of the people who answered around 4 I think including mine were law enforcement, or people who worked with assaultive persons. In some occupations you can't talk or walk away when you know there will be a confrontation.

I would be very disappointed though if someone has been in 10 or more fights while just going to bars, since that place is easily avoided.

Kevin

Aikilove
12-07-2000, 08:47 AM
The fact that most of those who voted 10+ are working with lawenforcement in one way or the other fits with my own experience. I worked as a member of a rapid assault team some years ago and during that time I was attacked twice, and managed to handel both cases well, probably due to my Aikidotraining. Specially in on of the cases when I had to handle both multiple attacks and arms (knife). The poore dickhead with the knife broke his wrist( It turned out he was on drugs and didn't feel the pain) trying to break free off a Sankyo-like grip. We were two from my team at the time of that attack (agains us) and the thing I probably needed most in that perticular situation, was being able to be aware of all my opponent, and thereby not giving the them a chance to advance (except for that dickhead with the knife) untill backup arrived.

Further more I think some of those who voted 10+ actually cuald have been inmates during that period (10 year is a long time) and in a prison assaults happends on a daily basis.

Jakob B

Nick
12-07-2000, 11:10 AM
I'm no administrator, but it might do you well to lay off of the profanity...

Nick

crystalwizard
12-07-2000, 03:10 PM
along with Nick's thought::
since your nickname is Aikilove:
and aikido is supposed to teach you love and respect even for your attacker:

calling them nasty names doesn't show a whole lot of that love and respect for them.

Aikilove
12-08-2000, 04:54 PM
Ok, I agree with that, but in the situation I was put under, or rather after it, I didn't feel like loving that person. The fact is, that event was a big factor when I decided to quit that force! I still think it was more luck than skill that kept me alive in that situation and that affectes me to this date when I think of that event.
But you are both right! I shouldn't call him names!

Thanks for the correction guys!

Jakob B