PDA

View Full Version : dojos near SFSU?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Clayton Drescher
08-25-2003, 12:40 PM
Hi all

I'm starting my dojo shopping today based on some results I got from the Aikiweb dojo search (great feature). I was just wondering if anyone knew any dojos near San Francisco State University that aren't listed here. I've checked on normal internet searches too and haven't found much outside the aikiweb database either. Thanks for the help

Best,
Clayton Drescher

laovel
08-25-2003, 12:48 PM
I don't know SF very well but here is one in SF that I like;

Aikido-Heart Of The Mission 3435 Army St San Francisco, CA (415) 273-4111

and here is a random link that I found when looking for Haart of the Mission web site that may have more info for you.

http://www.thecityofsanfrancisco.org/karate.html

rachmass
08-25-2003, 01:33 PM
Can you do the drive to Berkeley? Shibata Sensei is there and is AWESOME!!! I recommend going there if you can handle the commute.

Rachel

willy_lee
08-25-2003, 02:28 PM
It might be helpful to post what dojos you did find in the aikiweb search, just so we know what not to tell you -- not everyone will be willing to go and do a search themselves to see what you might have come up with.

I have not trained at any dojos outside of my home dojo, so I don't have any insider comments to give, but there are definitely a bunch around -- there's even a group actually at SFSU, if that helps you.

=wl

DCP
08-25-2003, 02:56 PM
Don't forget to check to see if there is a university club right there at SFSU. Sometimes clubs can go unnoticed. (I didn't know there was a club at my school until my second semester.)

Larry Feldman
08-25-2003, 04:32 PM
There is a dojo that is very close to Japantown, 1755 Laguna St. (at Bush)In the basement of a church

aikidoc
08-25-2003, 04:37 PM
Hi Clayton. Let me know where you end up training. We enjoyed having you this summer. If your new sensei sees anything he like, give me credit. If he sees things he doesn't like blame them on someone else-Just kidding. Good luck and drop back and train with us if you get back in Midland. P.S. If any of the pics come out e-mail or drop us a copy.

Riggs Sensei

Clayton Drescher
08-25-2003, 05:15 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the responses....I've e-mailed the aikido instructor in the kinesiology department here, I assume he would know if there's a club or not. They're not offering any classes this semester.

Good idea about the list Will...

I've mapped out:

Aikido Institute of San Francisco

City Aikido

San Francisco Aikikai

Heart of the Mission Aikido

Aikido of Noe Valley

Suginami Aikikai San Francisco

Aikido Center, San Francisco

Golden Gate YMCA Aikido

Aikido In

So far the Aikido Institue is closest, and its in Daly City...I'm on the southern border of SF proper.

Keep the suggestions coming:-D

P.S.--Sensei, I'll get those pics emailed to you asap, may be a few more weeks. A couple came out pretty nice, and they're black and white.

akiy
08-25-2003, 05:31 PM
Of course, if people do know of any dojo which aren't in the Dojo Search Engine, I encourage them to submit them via the submission page (http://www.aikiweb.com/search/submit.html)...

-- Jun

Qatana
08-25-2003, 06:59 PM
Why not take a couple of weeks & check them all out? Get a feel for the mat, the sensei, your training partners. then make a decision.

Clayton Drescher
08-26-2003, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I may do that, even the dojos I thought were pretty close still aren't that convenient, so I might as well try them all since some may be easier to get to than I thought.

Thanks all

willy_lee
08-26-2003, 11:28 AM
Wow, that's a pretty good list. I don't have a single dojo to add.

=wl

jaime exley
08-27-2003, 08:39 AM
Hi Clayton,

I know exactly what you're going through. When I started grad school at the S.F. conservatory of Music (just down the street from you) it was tough to get across town in time for keiko. Now, I drive past SFSU on my way to Aikido of Tamalpais three days a week. If you would like a ride just send me an e-mail. All I can say is...it's worth the trip.

Jaime

Janet Rosen
08-27-2003, 12:34 PM
Why not take a couple of weeks & check them all out? Get a feel for the mat, the sensei, your training partners. then make a decision.
I strongly second this. There are MAJOR differences in teaching styles and dojo cultures among these dojo, and none of us know you well enough to know what YOU want...

JW
09-10-2003, 06:14 PM
Don't forget Sunset Aikikai! In terms of lineage, it is associated with the Berkeley group. Most affordable aikido in the city, but 3x per week is all that is offered.
Taraval and 27th avenue, in "Sunset Movement Arts" building. Probably the closest place to you.

Also, check the yellow pages, because South San Francisco has a few, I think there is a good Yoshinkan there.

Also, there is another part-time type place at Taraval and 18th (in "One Taraval Fitness") which might be as little as 2x per week. But the instructor is great. Not as affordable though. Best of luck..
--JonathanW

Clayton Drescher
09-10-2003, 10:26 PM
Sunset is closed, or else that's where I woulda checked first!;-) I've checked out alot of places, been narrowing it down, but still "training around". THanks for all the advice all

Best,

Clayton

dion
12-29-2003, 07:50 PM
If you can, go to Berkeley and study with Shibata.