PDA

View Full Version : Vocab Question

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Kensai
08-21-2003, 04:16 AM
Whats the difference between:

Nage
Tori
Shite.

Regards,

Chris

Yann Golanski
08-21-2003, 04:33 AM
As far as I understand it, shite is used by Yoshinkan folks, nage by Aikikai folks and tori by Shodokan folks.

It is the name of the person doing the technique. It is the active person as opposed to the passive person (uke) which just gets the technique applied onto them.

What does the ki Society use?... anyone?...

aikidoc
08-21-2003, 12:42 PM
Tori is also used in the book Best Aikido by Doshu (Aikikai).

Steven
08-21-2003, 03:32 PM
I've heard Tori in Yoshinkan as well. It's what I grew up with.

Kensai
08-21-2003, 03:33 PM
I've always used either Nage or Tori.

Cheers for the info.

PeterR
08-21-2003, 07:03 PM
I know this has been covered before but I've forgotten.

As I understand it the different terms have slightly different meanings with respect to the doers role (the doee being uke).

Does anyone recall?

Kent Enfield
08-21-2003, 08:28 PM
Nage is "throw(er)."

Tori is "grab(ber)."

Shite is "doer."

Tori is also the norm in judo. As far as I can tell, the three are equivalent, and their usage is determined only by personal and group preference.

A lot like bokken versus bokuto.

Kensho Furuya
09-03-2003, 01:04 PM
Hello! If this helps, 3rd Doshu likes to use "tori" in place of "nage." They have the same meaning - I can only guess that maybe some people confuse it with a different word, "nage" meaning "throw." I think as Aikido is so international nowadays, the terminology needs to be simplified and made more clear. This is just my guess! As an example, there is one word we use, "kata" which means "shoulder," and another word, "kata" which means "one" as in "katate-tori," and yet another word, "kata" which means "form" I think it can get confusing very easily for a non-Japanese speaking person.

"Shite" is often used in martial arts and means "protangonist" or the "doer" or the "main character." As in the Noh drama, the "shite" is the protagonist and the "waki" who plays opposite the "shite" is the "subordinate" player or actor. I hope this helps. . . . . thank you.