PDA

View Full Version : A new Aikido student

Please visit our sponsor:

Steven Tame
07-21-2003, 09:31 AM
Hello my name is Steven Tame and I decided to start learning Aikido after reading some books about O Sensei.

I started out in March at North London Aikido Dojo and now I am in Japan and practicing at Hombu. I am really addicted to Aikido and train almost every day. I am hoping to take my 5th kyuu test in September.

I only recently discovered this forum and have enjoyed reading the many post and using the media links.

I'm sure I will be doing Aikido for many years to come :)

justinm
07-21-2003, 09:41 AM
Hi Steven, welcome!

How are you finding training in Japan?

Jusin

Steven Tame
07-21-2003, 09:58 AM
Well it is fun. In some ways it is a bit difficult because my Japanese is only conversational level I don't always understand what the Sensei says so I have to pay a lot of attention to the demonstrations.

Japan is also very humid in summer and cold in winter so I have that problem too.

akiy
07-21-2003, 10:18 AM
Hi Steven,

Welcome to the AikiWeb Forums and thanks for your introduction!

I know what you mean about Japan being humid in the summer and cold in the winter. You can't beat the fact that you can go slurp down a good bowl of ramen any time you want, though...

-- Jun

Adrian Smith
07-22-2003, 01:59 AM
Hi Steven! Welcome to the board!

Which Hombu are you at, Aikikai or Yoshinkan? I'm training in Yokosuka, about 65 km south of you. I've considered taking in a class up that way to see what the dojo is like.

-Adrian

Steven Tame
07-22-2003, 08:56 AM
I'm at Hombu Aikikai Shinjuku,Tokyo.

I have I kind of goal for this year which is to grade up so that I can go to the general class and experience a lesson with Doshu "Moiteru Ueshiba" If I don't stuff up on my tests or get an injury it is possible for me to get to 1st/2nd kyu before I have to leave next May. Well that's what one of the Sensei's said anyway.....

Yeah I like ramen a lot I'm gonna miss that in England