PDA

View Full Version : Advice on how to run a dojo

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

taras
07-07-2003, 12:30 PM
Hi!

I have been appointed administrator of our dojo and treasurer. I have all the enthusiasm and desire in the world to make sure everything is run smoothly and finances are in order but I would appreciate any tips/hints/cheats/walkthroughs :D :D :D seriousely - any reading either on the Net or on paper on how to run a dojo. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

thank you

Mel Barker
07-07-2003, 02:55 PM
Hi Taras,

I'm in a similar position as you. The thing that has helped me most was talking with the people running other successful dojos. Don't try to reinvent the wheel, find something that works and copy it.

Since our dojo is a small University Club, the finances aren't complicated at all, but not matter what the situation, it's important to keep up with the bookkeeping.

Also, I have been wanting to share the files I acquired on running a seminar. Let me know if anyone wants a copy.

Mel Barker

Harry Nguyen
07-08-2003, 09:59 AM
Hi Taras,

I am interested in this topic too. But I think it will be more helpful if you let people know what you have at your dojo. Any structure yet or just start up ? I ran my dojo for 6 years, but I start from the ground up and still struggle with the place, rent and rank :-).

C. Emerson
07-08-2003, 10:28 AM
1.Face time, you need to get your name out.

2.pamphlets, demonstrations, specials, radio advertisment.

3.make shure that there is a need to teach what ever your teaching in that area. If it is already too saturated, it's gonna be tough.

4.Make it as fun as possible, you want people to come back, and a good reputation, word of mouth.

5.Find a place with no or low overhead. Ymca boys girls club, church someplace where you don't have to pay rent or get kicked out if possible. There are alot of places like that, community colleges as so on.

6.And good luck

Chad

taras
07-21-2003, 11:50 AM
Sorry for not replying for so long, I had to go away.

The dojo has been run for 3 years in a local community centre. Our usual instructor is 1st kyu and sometimes we gets visit from a friendly dan-grade. We are going to advertise the dojo around the area. We are in the process of sorting out the insurance at the moment so we are not advertising yet. BTW, if anyone could recomend a UK insurance company that covers 1st kyu instructors it would be very much appreciated.

C. Emerson
07-21-2003, 10:44 PM
Insurance, yes checkout that liability. I was teaching for too many years with out having a waiver or insurance signed.

-Chad

taras
07-22-2003, 04:40 AM
We were afiliated to an organisation, and their insurance covered us. Recently, however, they changed their insurance provider and the new policy doesn't cover 1st kyu instructors.

philipsmith
07-22-2003, 05:57 AM
In terms of insurance best people to speak to are the British Aikido Board. If your association is a member they can provide cover; if not your association may be eligible to join.

C. Emerson
07-22-2003, 10:45 AM
GM Phil Porter usmaa.com. He also can supply you with insurance. I've training With Master Phil, A great guy!

James Thompson
05-07-2004, 12:21 PM
There are alternatives to the BAB insurance. The BAB will only accept your association and then it will need a number of members. An your instructor will still not qualify for coaching status with the BAB as he will need to be 1st dan no teaching qualification, no insurance, a vicious circle.

Your association appears to have let you down badly, any reason? or just more MA politics?

I'll let you know whom to contact regarding insurance

James