PDA

View Full Version : Hapkido, anyone?

Please visit our sponsor:

C. Emerson
06-24-2003, 11:02 AM
Hi, I'm new on the board. I'm a Hapkido instructor, who loves all m.a. and can relate with Aiki people. Anyone one else like myself on this board?

- C. Emerson

Lyle Bogin
06-24-2003, 12:27 PM
Hapkido is a fascinating and diverse art.

Do you have a clear cut curriculum? I find many hapkido instructors have a kind of "go with the flow" style of teaching, which I think is a reflection of the flexibility of the art itself.

Greg Jennings
06-24-2003, 01:07 PM
Hi Chad,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

I don't do Hapkido, but, like you, I like all martial arts. I'm a big fan of low-line kicks and just wish I did them better.

Regards,

shihonage
06-24-2003, 02:55 PM
No, sorry, this is a forum for dog breeders anonymous.

It appears you've got the wrong board.

Qatana
06-24-2003, 04:48 PM
Chad there's a guy at my dojo who also teaches Hapkido. in Aikido he's 2nd kyu so he has good background in each art. I'll let him know about you.

Eric Joyce
06-24-2003, 05:12 PM
I used to Hapkido before doing Aikido. Hapkido is some pretty cool stuff. Love the kicks (can't do them that well) but it was fun. The school I went to really didn't have a set curriculum, which I always found odd. Good stuff though.

jk
06-24-2003, 10:12 PM
Hi Chad,

There're a few folks around Aikiweb who've practiced one of the many varieties of hapkido. I used to train in hapkido, and even played instructor on occasion. The typical hapkido syllabus is huge, and IMHO, often quite unwieldy...although I did like the philosophy of the style I trained under, which was basically "use whatever works for you, baby." :) That's probably why a few of us have wandered off into other arts, like Bajichuan, BJJ, Japanese koryu and yes, even aikido.

Regards,

C. Emerson
06-24-2003, 11:34 PM
Thanks for all of your replys. Yes there is a curriculum and yes it does change as I change. There is a core set of ideals with Hapkido, but it does change a little from instructor to instructor. For instance, I'm 6'3 205 lbs, I don't teach alot of traditional throws. I can do them, but not very well in randori. I find it very difficult to get down that low for a lot of the throws. Sacrifice throws are fine, but hip and shoulder throws are not natural for me.

Great stuff,

Chad Emerson