PDA

View Full Version : Ki (?)

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Usagi Yojimbo
05-24-2003, 06:23 PM
As a new student to Aikido, I am eager to improve my technique as much as I can. Because of this I have been wondering about Ki. Does Ki really exsist? How would you "use" it? Would it interfer with my religious beliefs (Christianity)? I do believe that humans have to have some sort of inner strength or power. Although I don't really know what. I meen, how else would you explain the stories of superhuman strength under intense situations? I don't think adrenaline can do that much for you, it's got to be some sort of raw power spawned by their will. I don't know the limits of it, and I'm not sure how to utilize it, but I'm certain there's something there. Anyone have an answer?

asiawide
05-24-2003, 07:15 PM
1. Does KI really exist?

Does God exist? Maybe some say YES, some other say NO. That's all.

2. How would you use it?

Well.. can you use God? Maybe you can pray

But what you can do is just wait for his/her

(?) answer. Like that you just train Aikido.

If you are doing well, it means you are

using your KI well too. Some will say that

by using KI you can do your aikido better.

However, how to train your KI? Ki training?

Well.. actually KI training is very dangerous.

Some people suffer from illusion or disease.

Just keep on training Aikido. Even the

daitoryu aiki master said that 'Aiki is a

Physical Science'

3. Would it intefere with christanity?

If you are not a fundamentalist, no matter.

If you are, consult your preacher.

4. How to explain superhuman strength?

Well.. there might be.. But I've never seen

it before but only read on the book.

Jaemin

Col.Clink
05-24-2003, 07:19 PM
Hello Joshua,

There is many a discussion on ki in the archives, do a search for ki to get some thoughts.

I'll give you my brief opinion to your questions:

1."Does Ki really exsist?"

2."How would you "use" it?"

3."Would it interfer with my religious beliefs (Christianity)?"

1. I would say yes, though others would disagree. You have the question that only you can answer.

2. I use Ki everyday, just by breathing. Also in Kiatsu, which I am still learning to apply, and in Aikido it gives me strength without being strong.

3. Again, that is a question only you can answer.

There is much about adrenaline and it's effects, but the mind is also a powerful tool still not fully understood.

Keep an open mind and enjoy Aikido, and if you feel interested enough, ask about Ki at your dojo.

I think it is best to at least TRY to understand and experience Ki, then you can make a true judgement for yourself.

Good luck!

Cheers

Rob

Col.Clink
05-24-2003, 07:24 PM
1. Does KI really exist?

However, how to train your KI? Ki training?

Some people suffer from illusion or disease.

Jaemin
Hi Jaemin,

Can you please tell me what is dangerous etc about ki training?

Illusion & disease?? please be more specific.

cheers

Rob

:ai: :ki:

Thalib
05-24-2003, 07:31 PM
I'm a Muslim, and all I could say that Aikido have strengthened my beliefs instead of have interfered. O-Sensei was not kidding when he said that Aikido is a "supplement" to any religion. I'm one proof.

As for Ki, it just exists just as anything else in this universe. Many people describe it differently. Many people describe it with science. Regardless of any skepticism, it still exists no matter how the skeptics would scientifically explain it.

Why would I say that? Because the explanation is that everything is Ki.

Jeff R.
05-24-2003, 07:39 PM
Hey, Usagi!

I totally have to go with Col.Clink in post #3. But I would add, in response to your third question--"Would it interfer[e] with my religious beliefs (Christianity)?"--No. In fact, Jesus healed people with touch, by the will and energy of God. In Japan it's called Kiatsu or Reiki.

Jesus used it, why should there be an issue if you do? (Purists will probably scream at me, but why should we be selfish or difficult about it? It's all for the greater good.) It belongs to everyone, bud; it's inherent. If the Great Spirit (God) didn't want us to have it, we wouldn't.

Definitely look around the threads though. Take it with a grain of salt.

Grappler
05-26-2003, 12:58 AM
As a new student to Aikido, I am eager to improve my technique as much as I can. Because of this I have been wondering about Ki. Does Ki really exsist? How would you "use" it? Would it interfer with my religious beliefs (Christianity)? I do believe that humans have to have some sort of inner strength or power. Although I don't really know what. I meen, how else would you explain the stories of superhuman strength under intense situations? I don't think adrenaline can do that much for you, it's got to be some sort of raw power spawned by their will. I don't know the limits of it, and I'm not sure how to utilize it, but I'm certain there's something there. Anyone have an answer?
Train your muscles, strength, speed, conditioning, good nutrition, and you'll have all the power you need. There is no superhuman strength, ki, whatever you call it. If you tried to lift 500 lbs, did your best, and couldnt, you cant lift it. Period. The rest is fairytales.

kironin
05-26-2003, 04:03 AM
Train your muscles, strength, speed, conditioning, good nutrition, and you'll have all the power you need. There is no superhuman strength, ki, whatever you call it. If you tried to lift 500 lbs, did your best, and couldnt, you cant lift it. Period. The rest is fairytales.
A response one could exxpect from someone who doesn't train in aikido at all. Not bad advice though if one wants to compete in the UFC.

Ki is simply part of human potential.

Craig

PeterR
05-26-2003, 04:19 AM
I would have said the same thing Craig.

PeterR
05-26-2003, 04:56 AM
To qualify (ie. my 15 minutes to edit are up) I don't think you can seriously consider Ki to the the source of super-human strength which I think is what Andrew was getting at in response to the first post. To develope strength you got to put in the sweat - there are no short cuts. To do effective Aikido you have to put in the time and training - no short cuts either.

Some people who do Aikido consider Ki exercises helpful others, who also do Aikido, do not.

My personal view is that the time put in to Ki testing or exercises would be better spent doing other types of on the mat training but I say the same thing about other forms of cross-training. This of course is based on the assumption that your only goal is to become good at Aikido.

Rumour has it that Ueshiba M. had strong Ki - whatever he had and whatever you want to call it - came from lots and lots of hard training.

Bronson
05-26-2003, 09:24 AM
I believe in ki. Not as some mystical power but more as a blanket concept to cover things like timing, posture, correct movement, controlled relaxation, proper breathing, etc. Get all that in line and you will have (in my opinion which doesn't mean squat) "good ki". We do some ki exercises in our style/dojo and I personnally find them useful. I also think the absolute best ki exercise I've found is actually practicing aikido.

So Josh, my advice (which again is worth squat) is to get on the mat as much as you can and practice practice practice. Pay attention and do what your instructors are showing to the best of your ability and never let your best be good enough.

Bronson

Jeff R.
05-26-2003, 10:53 AM
my advice (which is worth squat) . . .
Man, I wish people would stop doing this! You have something to say from the heart, say it with conviction. It's an open forum, and it doesn't matter what cliques, tough-guys, graduates, highly-respected, or despised readers say. As long as it's respectful and productive, it's not "worth squat."

Down with self-deprecation.

DanD
05-26-2003, 01:58 PM
Jaemin Yu wrote:
"However, how to train your KI? Ki training?

Some people suffer from illusion or disease."

WOW, that's a one funny phobia....LOL

Bronson
05-26-2003, 05:35 PM
Man, I wish people would stop doing this! You have something to say from the heart, say it with conviction....
Whoa big fella ;) I understand and agree with your sentiment. What I really meant was that none of our opinions mean squat, I just didn't want to seem rude :p

Bronson

ikkainogakusei
05-27-2003, 08:27 AM
... Does Ki really exsist? How would you "use" it? Would it interfer with my religious beliefs (Christianity)? I do believe that humans have to have some sort of inner strength or power. ... how else would you explain the stories of superhuman strength under intense situations? I don't think adrenaline can do that much for you, it's got to be some sort of raw power spawned by their will. I don't know the limits of it, and I'm not sure how to utilize it, but I'm certain there's something there. Anyone have an answer?
Hi Joshua,

This was addressed a couple months back in another thread, and I'm sure a couple months before that, I think it's a very common question. If you're interested, here's a link to the discussion.

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=39922#post39922

Cheers!

:ai: :) :ai: