View Full Version : Dojo in Des Moines?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Darren Raleigh
04-29-2003, 10:58 AM
Hi all,
I've been looking for an akikai in Des Moines, Iowa. I've found one called Prarie Aikikai, but I haven't been able to contact them. I've sent emails, I've called, and the closest thing to a response I've gotten is a referral to the number of the guy who teaches there. I've left a message with said guy and there's been no response.
Realizing that websites can be a bit behind the times, does anyone know of a practicing akikai in Des Moines?

04-29-2003, 11:43 AM
Try this Darren:

Iowa Aikikai

717 Grand Avenue

Des Moines, IA 50319

Instructors: Bill Brown II/Barbara Brown

04-29-2003, 12:00 PM
Here's Prairie Aikikai's website:

as well as an affilliated dojo:

Darren Raleigh
04-29-2003, 12:24 PM
I've tried the Prarie Aikikai site, so far to no avail. I'll call the YWCA people and see what I can find out.

Alas, the Iowa City dojo is too far from Des Moines to make it practical to attend.

Thanks again!

04-30-2003, 11:51 AM
I should have been clearer. THe reason I gave the Iowa City website was so that you could call them to find a contact in Des Moines. Good luck!

Darren Raleigh
05-01-2003, 08:55 AM
Thanks, everyone.

So far, no success. The number of the YWCA aikikai is the same as that posted on the Prarie Aikikai website. Regrettably, it connects me to a person who tells me that they no longer use this number, but he did give me the number of the person who is listed on the website as running the school. Equally regrettably, this person hasn't returned any of my calls for the last week.

I've written to the Iowa City aikikai, but I'm getting used to the idea that there just isn't any aikido in Des Moines.

Thanks for the referrals anyway.

05-01-2003, 04:02 PM

I sent out a few messages and received replies that the Prairie Aikikai is indeed still practicing in Des Moines on a very active basis. The person I heard from requested that I forward your contact information to her so she can get in touch with you. Please either send me a private message via Aikiweb or e-mail me at: rcronin@earthlink.net and I will pass it on.

They are affiliated with the dojo where I practice, and are a good bunch of folks.

05-15-2003, 03:49 PM
Darren - Are you still interested in this topic?