PDA

View Full Version : Training at Home

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

aikido_fudoshin
04-09-2003, 09:52 PM
Sorry if this was posted before, but I was wondering what are the things you do when training on your own time, by yourself.
Osu!

DCP
04-09-2003, 10:07 PM
Fix the pipes in the basement I break from jo kata.

ian
04-10-2003, 05:27 AM
swim

run

tai-chi

catching bricks in fingers

bokken and jo practice

press-ups (on fingers, on fists, on heel of hand)

crunches (several variations)

8 direction extension

strikes (yokomen, jaw, sternum, knee/groin kicks, atemis for techniques)

chi gung (standing practise)

tae-sebaki

gym (dips, pull-ups, rowing - only weight exercises that lift my own body)

This is usually too much to do regularly. So I often do some more sporadically.

JMCavazos
04-10-2003, 07:31 AM
aikitaiso

stretch

focus

awareness

MikeE
04-10-2003, 07:43 AM
Ditto with Joe.

Add in Jogi 1-3 and kengi 1-3

mike lee
04-10-2003, 10:49 AM
Chop wood, throw bales of hay.

Ron Tisdale
04-10-2003, 11:15 AM
Since I'm guessing your yoshinkan, I'd highly recommend working on the basic movements. Really focus on form. A lot.

Ron Tisdale

erikmenzel
04-10-2003, 02:39 PM
Eat pizza, drink beer :D :D

Paul Smith
04-10-2003, 03:05 PM
Eat beer, drink pizza.

(like my beer strong and my pizza moist)

jk
04-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Eat pizza, drink beer :D :D
...while smoking 3-4 packs of cigarettes a day. :D Oh wait...don't forget the donuts and coffee.

(Just kidding)

If you can work it in, wind sprints are always fun.

taras
04-10-2003, 09:48 PM
I practice all the moves without an uke. It looks a bit like tai chi. I believe, the benefit from this is that you have all the time in the world to concentrate on your posture and balance.

Also, boken and jo practice (if you are doing it at home make sure you unscrew all the light bulbs first).

acot
04-10-2003, 10:13 PM
Take up the violin. It helps you to practice good posture and staying relaxed. I don't play, but from what I read you can't play well without relaxing the arms/body. Besides becoming even more enlightened:eek: !

Ryan

Veers
04-15-2003, 04:36 PM
Good one, Taras...

I do rolls in the living room, and work on footwork a bit. Though it's hard to work on balance without someone holding my wrist.

Wish I had more room...have to do all my rolls from kneeling position, because if I try flipping myself I'll hit the furniture.

akiy
04-15-2003, 04:48 PM
Don't think that trying to do rolls in a very slow manner is easy, uneducational, nor useless. I personally find it's a great tool to learn a lot about my own body mechanics to try to perform rolls, both forward and back, as slowly and as momentum-less as I can (eg doing a backwards roll from lying on my back without using momentum to "kick" me over)...

-- Jun

sanosuke
04-16-2003, 03:38 AM
I also do the same with you Jun, only that I don't do as slow as you. Rather than jog for one hour I prefer do fifteen minutes rolling, same level of tiredness anyway...

akiy
04-16-2003, 09:26 AM
Although slow rolling practice can make you tired and sweating, I don't do it in order to become tired. I do enough of that during regular training. Rather, I treat it as a type of adjunct training to complement regular training and/or aerobic exercise. For me, slow rolling practice is a way to learn about my own body and its abilities rather than to gain aerobic endurance...

-- Jun

mstoddart
04-16-2003, 07:55 PM
My main home practice is playing the cello. The deeper I get into Aikido (4&1/2 years), the more connections I see between it and music (which I've been doing for most of my life), both spiritually and as a physical form of "cross-training. As Ryan mentioned, above, it does help with posture and relaxation, as well as linking breath and movement. (Interestingly, I came accross a discussion thread awhile back on a cello website that recommended martial arts training to develop upper body strength, dexterity and flexibility for music).

Otherwise, I work on jo kata and bokken kata, though not as often as I should (and ki excercises & meditation even more sporadically).

Larry Feldman
04-17-2003, 11:21 AM
I recommend the following to my students that can't make it to class as often as they would like:

Ki exercises (fundamental movemment practice)

Jo and Bokken practice

Running throught techniques without uke (mentioned above), can also be done for uke's 'side (but without the rolls, if no mats available).

Watch aikido video's - of our style, past seminars etc.

Joseph Huebner
04-20-2003, 11:58 PM
1. Aiki-Taiso

2. Ukemi

3. Balance/center

4. Getting off-line with speed, skill, and proficiency(And avoid getting puked on by drunk patients...again...)

Joseph Huebner

Bronson
04-21-2003, 06:53 PM
And avoid getting puked on by drunk patients...again...

Eeeeeewwwwwwww!

Bronson

Joseph Huebner
04-23-2003, 10:31 AM
Eeeeeewwwwwwww!

Bronson
Just be thankful aiki-web does not have "smellavision" ...

Joseph

akiy
04-23-2003, 11:41 AM
Just be thankful aiki-web does not have "smellavision" ...
... yet...

-- Jun

Anat Amitay
04-27-2003, 12:58 AM
actually, reading through some parts of this post, it seems it should have been put in Humor!;)

:D :D :D

Anat

Kelly Allen
04-27-2003, 04:25 AM
Chop wood, throw bales of hay.
I don't throw bales around any more but I chop a lot of wood. Mike do you try and hit the center ring by focusing your Ki?

mike lee
04-27-2003, 04:54 AM
The ax knows the target "I" am not there.

Kelly Allen
04-27-2003, 05:00 AM
The ax knows the target "I" am not there.
:eek: WOW an ax that can chop all the wood with out you being there! I got to have one! Where do they sell them? :p

mike lee
04-27-2003, 06:02 AM
They're free. Just clear your mind. (But first make sure the blade is pointed in the right direction!)

SeiserL
04-27-2003, 11:38 AM
IMHO, skipping rope and Tenkan practice paying attention to alignment and keeping the hands in front is an excellent way to solo practice. Add rhythm training to it (moving to a good beat) and you create flowing. Don't forget to relax and breath.

Mallory Wikoff
05-22-2003, 08:44 PM
The other day i had my medium sized dog (80lb) lay down in the yard, and i did some rolls over him. (lol)

also sometimes i'll be walking around the house and start to run into something (on purpose) and rite befor i run into it i do a tenkan around it. :D