PDA

View Full Version : embroidery

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

rachmass
04-09-2003, 09:09 AM
Hi all,

Got my new hakama (yeah!), and now want to get my name embroidered on the back like my old one, problem is; I don't know where to get this work done. Does anyone have recommendations on where they went (in their city) to have this accomplished.

best,
Rachel

Larry Feldman
04-09-2003, 12:09 PM
I know Kiyota can do embroidery.

800-783-2232. Best if you have a sample - or copy of the old one you can send them.

Veers
04-09-2003, 12:18 PM
Never too late to teach yourself! :]

Qatana
04-09-2003, 12:21 PM
Rachel i typed "embriodery- michigan"

into Google & there are probably a couple dozen shops which could do this job. good luck with everything!

Bronson
04-09-2003, 01:16 PM
Does anyone have recommendations on where they went (in their city) to have this accomplished.

CHRISTMAN SCREEN PRINT INCORPORATED

2851 W DICKMAN RD, BATTLE CREEK, MI 49015

(269) 962-6274

Dave Christman, owner/operator

This is the same place I talked about in the Patch thread, but apparently I posted a bum link on that one :grr: Anyway Dave Christman (sounds like crisp-man) is a good guy to deal with. Make sure to specify what size you want the font though. I told him to pick whatever he thought looked good and it's a bit larger than I would have picked, but that's what you get when you leave aesthetic decisions to someone else. I've also seen him locate the name in two ways on the hakama. One follows the angle of the back piece at the vent and the other drops straight down. Just make sure to tell him which you prefer. He has other people working for him but I always talk directly with him when it comes to martial arts stuff. He's a kendo guy himself (with some karate and aikido) and will understand any martial art specific concerns you may have.

Bronson

rachmass
04-09-2003, 02:31 PM
Thanks folks,

I've got a call in to 10 different embroiderers in my area, and only one has called back and said "no way" when I described the job. Should have had Kiyota do it when I bought the hakama through them, but I didn't think of it. Bronson, I might go to the Battle Creek guy if no one around here can do it (can I come and train if I do?).

Thanks for the advice!

Rachel

Bronson
04-09-2003, 04:05 PM
Bronson, I might go to the Battle Creek guy if no one around here can do it (can I come and train if I do?).

OF COURSE!! That would be cool! If you're thinking of coming over and training I'd recommend a Tuesday or Thursday evening. Mostly because that's when I'm there :D

Bronson

DCP
04-09-2003, 10:14 PM
Some high schools (larger or less-financially strapped) have the way-cool sewing machines that hook up to computers in their family & consumer science rooms (it was called home ec when I was a kid). Sometimes they'll do outside jobs for a nominal fee (and the money goes into the ed. fund, so what the heck!).

Anat Amitay
04-10-2003, 01:30 PM
Hi there,

I guess I can't help you with stores in your area, but here there are stores that sell things like towels, pillows etc and they do the embroidery. It's all computerized so some can even scan a design and adjust it and then sew it on the wanted surface.

I don't have a Hakama yet, but instead of getting an embroidery done on my weapons bag, I cross- stitched a design and sewed the bag :)

So, if you have spare time and want to learn something new, you can sew your own designs (of course I wouldn't try the first time on a new hakama...!!! ;) )

Good luck finding a place,

Anat

Qatana
04-10-2003, 02:33 PM
Rachel.

I'd be interested in hearing any price quotes you may get for this job. You can email me if you'd rather.

Just wondering if this would be a service I can offer to do by hand, in my area...

rachmass
04-15-2003, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the information Jo,

I am going with Bronsons recommendation, and it will cost a total of $50 to do this ($35 for the set-up, $15 for the embroidery).

Bronson, can you drop me an email please? my address is: rachmass@provide.net

thanks again,

Rachel

Bronson
04-15-2003, 10:45 AM
Bronson, can you drop me an email please?

Done.

Bronson

Qatana
04-15-2003, 12:10 PM
and Thank You Rachel-

since I wouldn't have a set-up fee it looks like i can offer hand-embroidered names...local to me, of course...for multiples, ie. patches, its much more sensible to have it done by machine, with that one time set up fee.

and FWIW, i'm always interested in trading.

thanx agin fer the info...