PDA

View Full Version : What type and where to buy mats in the UK?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Mark Balogh
03-25-2003, 10:07 AM
Hi, I am in the UK (South) and am looking at a possible club venue. The only problem is the lack of mats. There may be a storage area not to far from the room and I was looking at the Superlite mats from

http://www.ultimat.co.uk/judomats.htm

This is an expensive option but the club should repay that cost over 3 years or so. :eek:

The mats need to be lighter, solid and non-moving (jigsaw are not an option! :dead: )

Does anyone know if there is a site where people would be selling second hand mats. It's an option I have to consider. Any help would be great. Thanks. ;)

Alan Mung
03-25-2003, 10:17 AM
The sports centre where I train in Essex has just bought some GeeMats. These are 100 pounds each I understand. We have only trained on them a few times so far and although they were initally a bit bright and slippy they seem to be getting better. One thing I can say for certain though is they do not move at all. We use them just for locking the other mats in when we need a big mat area.

Mark Balogh
03-25-2003, 10:31 AM
We have Geemat competition mats at our university club, they are excellent but maybe to heavy for constant shifting from room to room. Thats why I'm looking at those superlite and alternatives. They payed 100 a mat, that is steep! :eek: :D

rachmass
03-25-2003, 10:32 AM
follow this link:

http://pub13.ezboard.com/fsfuksubmissionfightinguksfukmmaforum.showMessage?topicID=12770.topic

they had some for sale...

Mark Balogh
03-25-2003, 10:37 AM
Shame, it looks they are all gone. :( :)

rachmass
03-25-2003, 10:50 AM
oops, I hadn't checked. At least you know a site that people might list them.

best of luck!

oh, I've got Swain mats and love them! But they are expensive, and if you have very animated ukes, they do move!

Bronson
03-25-2003, 02:51 PM
I have heard rumors that Swain (and maybe Zebra) will sell the mats they provide to large judo tournaments at a lower price because of their used status once the tournament is finished. You might try contacting them and asking.

Bronson

rachmass
03-25-2003, 02:55 PM
Hi Bronson,

yes, that is true; i've bought most my mats that way.

Good luck on this one Mark,

Mark Balogh
03-26-2003, 04:15 AM
Thanks for your replies people, but I really need a UK supplier. You have given me some ideas though! :D

taras
03-27-2003, 08:57 PM
you could try to find a judo club in your area and see if you can 'borrow' their dojo.

You could try asking at schools if they are changing mats. We got our mats from a school, but they are really hummered.